I entered my 1st baking contest today, and am thrilled to say I won!! The contest was sponsored by Amaranth Whole Foods Market at the Enjoy Centre in St Albert, AB. This contest involved making gluten free cookies. I bought the majority of my ingredients at Amaranth, including their own special ground gluten free flour. This is one great tasting gluten free cookie with the health benefits of Chia and Hemp seed added to it. Thanks to all the exceptional judges.
by Laureen King from artandthekitchen.blogspot.ca
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 8-10 minutes Makes: 2 dozen large
• 1 1/2 cup Only Oats* oatmeal
• 3/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chia seeds
• 1/4 cup hemp seeds
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins, or cranberries
• 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
• 1 cup butter
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 vanilla pod scraped
*Amaranth Whole Foods Market at the Enjoy Centre in St Albert, AB make their own special blend gluten free flour. Also sell and amazing selection of gluten free/ organic products.
1. Combine flour, oatmeal, coconut, chia and hemp seed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips or cranberries in bowl. Mix together until all ingredients well combined.
2. In mixing bowl beat butter. (start with soft butter, I usually leave mine out the night before).
3. Once butter is beaten until fluffy add brown sugar and vanilla, beat on medium until well incorporated.
4. Add egg, mix.
5. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture on low. Batter will be thick.
6. I usually finish off by hand mixing to ensure ingredients are well combined.
7. Use an ice cream scoop to get cookies same size. Flatten slightly with fork.
8. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.