Two big events this weekend; July 1st is Canada Day and I am off to Calgary to watch the Track and Field Olympic trials. This is going to be one exciting track meet with the best athletes in Canada competing to earn their spot to represent Canada at the London Olympics. Even more thrilling is that my son, Garrett, will be competing! So here is my tribute to Canada, lemon sugar Canada Day Cookies with royal icing.
Canada Day Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Sift together flour, salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy—5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well then add eggs and lemon zest. Beat to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mix until the dough is smooth.
- Separate the dough and wrap it in 3 separate pieces. Place in the fridge and chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one disk at a time. Flour a work surface and roll the disk out to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. The more times you roll out the dough the tougher it gets. Use a thin spatula to transfer the cookies onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. (edges just starting to brown)
- Cool completely on the cookie sheets before moving.
- Decorate with Royal Icing