Now all you need is some crushed up hard candies. I use lifesavers because I love the taste of them, but Jolly Ranchers, or any hard candy will work. Add more detail by using some Royal Icing to outline or add other decorative touches.
Stained Glass Cookies
- Sugar cookie dough
- 25 hard candies such as Life Savers or Jolly Ranchers
- Make your favorite sugar cookie recipe. Here's my favourite
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer). You can also used a food grinder.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with your favorite cookie cutter shapes, then with smaller cookie cutter shape (ensure it fits inside large shape)
- Cut smaller shape inside of larger shape.
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre shape with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown. Candies will melt as cookie bakes.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
- Add extra decorative touches with Royal Icing if you like!
A stained glass Shamrock cookie for St. Patrick’s Day.
Here’s using stained glass technique on gingerbread cookies.