This recipe for Cinnamon Roll Swirl Cake tastes just like a fresh cinnamon bun, but so much easier to make!
Is there any better aroma than something baking in the oven with cinnamon? As a child it was the smell of my Mom's cinnamon rolls, we could smell them baking a block from our house as we ran home from school. Cinnamon is my all time favorite spice to use, from decadent desserts to warm ciders on a cold winter night. My Cinnamon Raisin Scones with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Butter are exceptional recipes using cinnamon.
What I love about this Cinnamon Swirl Cake recipe is that it is so easy to make, yet incredibly tasty! You get the great cinnamon bun flavor without spending all day baking. Another awesome thing about this cinnamon recipe is that it consists of ingredients that are usually readily available in our pantry. A moist coffee cake recipe for brunch, tea time, or after dinner dessert.
I baked this cinnamon roll cake in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, but a decorative bundt pan is also a great option for a more elegant presentation. The baking time will be slightly longer.
I topped this Cinnamon Roll Swirl cake recipe with a simple glaze, but a cream cheese frosting would also taste fantastic. I have a great cream cheese frosting recipe, check it out on my Moist Banana Cake recipe.
This post was originally published November 5th, 2013. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update September 10, 2023.
Cinnamon Roll Swirl Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter melted
Cinnamon Swirl Mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter almost to point of melted, very soft
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar also called powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt,
- Using standing mixer with paddle attachment, blend together sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla (a hand mixer will also work).
- Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Once full combined, with mixer on low speed, slowly add in the butter.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
Cinnamon Swirl Mix
- Mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon small bowl.
- Make sure butter is very soft, but not melted. Stir into the brown sugar mixture and combine well.
- Pour over the cake batter and using a knife swirl the cinnamon mixture into the cake batter.
- Bake at 350º F for 35-45 minutes.
- Stir together confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- When cake is done, remove from the oven, and while still warm drizzle the glaze over cake.