Ham and Bean Soup
An exceptional recipe for Ham and Bean soup. Family favourite!
- 1 ham bone I leave meat on the bone while it cooks
- 4-5 cups leftover ham
- 2 cups dry navy beans
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp. dry
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8-9 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing vegetables
Prepare dried beans by soaking them in cold water for 8-10 hours, then drain and rinse, and boiling as per package instructions (I do this the night before).
In large pan heat oil and sauté celery, carrots, onions and garlic until tender.
Add chicken stock, ham bone and ham. Transfer to larger pot if necessary.
Add beans, parsley, thyme and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 2-3 hours.
Chop up large pieces of ham before serving
This recipe also work well in a slow cooker 6-8 hours on low.