A best ever recipe for Ham and Bean Soup! An all-time favourite recipe for leftover ham, so hearty and delicious.
Leftovers have to be the best thing about baking a delicious ham, because now you can make a savoury soup! Ham and Bean soup is awesome for lunch, yet so hearty if makes a great dish for dinner.
The challenge I have with blogging a soup recipe is that I never seem to make it the same way twice and I usually do not measure anything. It's always just a little of this and that and what ever I have on hand. I didn't have any split peas to make split pea soup, but I did have navy beans. I actually prefer beans as they are firmer and don't get mushy. While making this recipe I did measure everything so I could pass on this awesome recipe, but some great adaptations could be a variety of vegetables and beans, or different herbs and spices. Experiment!
Ham and Bean Soup
An exceptional recipe for Ham and Bean soup. Family favourite!
- 1 ham bone I leave meat on the bone while it cooks
- 4 cups leftover ham
- 2 cups dry navy beans
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp. dry
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8-9 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing vegetables
- Prepare dried beans by soaking them in cold water for 8-10 hours, then drain and rinse. (I do this the night before).
- In large pan heat oil and sauté celery, carrots, onions and garlic until tender.
- Add chicken stock, ham bone and ham. Transfer to larger pot if necessary.
- Add beans, parsley, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 2-3 hours.
- Chop up large pieces of ham before serving
This recipe also work well in a slow cooker 6-8 hours on low.
Calories: 378kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 26gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 976mgPotassium: 1017mgFiber: 11gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 4520IUVitamin C: 6.3mgCalcium: 95mgIron: 3.5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I love soup and here are more of my favorite soup recipes to try!