One of my favourite soup recipes Italian Turkey Burger Soup, both healthy and hearty made with lean ground turkey. Easy to make in less than an hour!
With the colder temperatures starting to set in what could be more comforting than a warm bowl of soup. This recipe for Italian Turkey Burger Soup makes a terrific lunch but so hearty it can definitely serve as a main course meal.
I am always looking for tasty ways to use healthy, lean, ground turkey breast. The problem with ground turkey is that it can taste dry and flavourless; not so with this recipe! Moist lean turkey meat with scrumptious flavour.
The combination of fresh oregano, thyme and basil with a tomato base add robust flavour to this exceptionally delicious soup. I usually use fresh herbs from my garden which I transfer indoors for the winter. They add superior flavour over dried, but if need be, dried herbs will still taste awesome in this recipe. Be sure to double up the recipe as this soup is even better the next day. Put in a thermos for school lunches your children will love!
Italian Turkey Burger Soup
One of my favourite soup recipes Italian Turkey Burger Soup, both healthy and hearty made with lean ground turkey.Print Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups carrots sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes not drained 28 oz
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp. dry
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dry
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add ground turkey, salt, pepper, onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until turkey is browned.
- Transfer to Dutch oven or pot.
- In same skillet add carrots and celery and sauté just until slightly tender (not too soft).
- Transfer to Dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes to skillet to deglaze (love the extra flavour that comes from the browned bits in skillet).
- Add beef broth, tomato paste and all the herbs (except parsley) to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to Dutch oven, stir to combine all ingredients.
- Simmer on low heat for 30- 40 minutes.
- Add parsley last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 926mg | Potassium: 885mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6145IU | Vitamin C: 18.9mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2.9mg