An exceptional Homemade Mushroom Soup recipe. So tasty you'll never want to eat canned again.
On a recent trip to the grocery store I came across an amazing variety pack of mushrooms. Tucked away in my binder full of recipes I had saved this delicious looking recipe for Homemade Mushroom soup from Season with Spice. These mushrooms were perfect for trying this recipe. The recipe exceeded my expectations and is now, by far, my favorite mushroom soup recipe. A hint of nutmeg adds incredible, but subtle flavor. This recipe serves 2 so be sure to double or more, for second helpings or to feed the family.
A exotic variety of mushroom added delicious flavour to my soup.
Homemade Mushroom Soup
This Homemade Mushroom Soup is so exceptional you'll never want to eat canned again.
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms assorted variety 300g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon flour dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- dash of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley or chives for garnish
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan. Add butter and lightly sauté garlic on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until moisture from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add in chicken broth, stir occasionally until broth boils, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add diluted flour, stirring constantly until soup thickens.
- Season with salt and dash of nutmeg.
- Add cream and milk, bring to slow simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper and garnish with chopped parsley or chives.
Calories: 446kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 10gFat: 39gSaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 307mgPotassium: 620mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 1315IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 130mgIron: 1.7mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @ArtAndTheKitchen or tag #ArtAndTheKitchen!
Check our some more great soup recipes! Italian Turkey Burger, Ham and Bean, and Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Soup
Chris, thank you so much, means a lot coming from you 🙂
I love homemade mushroom soup and your looks delicious!!
Linda had a little lamb
I have the ingredients and will be trying this tonight. Thanks.
Love to get your feedback on the recipe after you've made it Linda 🙂
Thanks for letting me know what you thought about the recipe. My husband is not a big fan of thyme, but I love it, so its always a compromise in our home.
Linda had a little lamb
Hi Laureen. I tried the recipe. The only thing I would change would be to not add the thyme. I am not a huge fan of it, but tried it anyway just to see how the recipe would turn out. I'm sure for those who like thyme, this would be fine, but for me next time sans thyme. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Elizabeth, I have never froze this soup, but I agree I don't think cream soups freeze very well, and I think the mushrooms would get an undesirable texture. Have you tried my Italian Turkey Burger Soup, it freezes very well.
i just made this. I added onion and potato. Its really good. I look forward to the left overs and making it again, in the future
Thank you for letting me know Michelle, so glad you enjoyed the recipe.
I made this last night, followed all of the directions. I turned out amazing! Loved it! I also added in some wild rice to make it a little more hearty. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
Fantastic Kendra, I like the idea of adding the wild rice!