Roasted Beet Lentil Soup is hearty, delicious and healthy. The combination of roasted beets and vegetables with nutrient rich lentils makes a tasty soup you'll be making often. In addition, this soup is great for those on a gluten free, vegetarian and vegan diet.
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, low in fat and high in fibre and a superb addition to soup! I have really enjoyed working with and developing recipes for Alberta Pulse Growers. Alberta Pulse Growers support over 6,000 farmers!
So what are "Pulses"? Pulses include lentils, beans, chickpeas and dry peas. A complete list of pulse varieties and some exceptional recipes can be found on Alberta Pulse Growers website. Pulses are a great choice for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets.
Roasting the beets and other vegetables adds some incredible flavour to this recipe! The tip to unlocking that great caramelized flavour is using a hot oven (425- 450ºF) and not crowding the vegetables. Don't pile your vegetable on top of one another - lay them out in one layer. For this recipe I used 2 foil lined baking sheets. Since I was using the roasted vegetables for soup I chopped them into small pieces, then tossed them in a generous amount of olive oil, salt and pepper and baked for about 30 minutes. YUM!
Roasted Beet Lentil Soup
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 5 cups red beets
- 4 cups green cabbage
- 1 ½ cups carrots
- ¾ cup onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 8-10 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh dill chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt optional
- Preheat oven to 425ºF
- Chop beets, cabbage, carrots and onions into small chunks. Place in large bowl. Toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread vegetables out on foil lined baking sheets, making sure vegetables are in one layer. I used 2 baking sheets. Bake 425º F for approximately 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes. until pieces are nicely browned.
- Transfer vegetables to large pot, stir in lentils, tomato paste, vegetable stock and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (The amount of salt used can vary depending on how salty the stock you use is)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes until lentils are tender. (add additional vegetable stock if you prefer a thinner soup)
- Add vinegar and dill, simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- optional - serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.
This sponsored post for Roasted Beet Lentil Soup is another tasty recipe that I've developed for Alberta Pulse Growers.
Check out my other terrific recipes using pulses.