Black Bean Frittata Bites is a great recipe for Back to School, Back to Healthy Eating Routine. Alberta Pulse Growers have sponsored this post!
These egg bites are easy to make, super healthy, and an excellent source of protein and fibre. Terrific for breakfast or to pack in a school lunch box. Fuel to keep you going throughout the day! The addition of black beans to these egg bites pack some serious flavor and nutrition. Beans are an excellent source of protein, low in fat and high in fibre and great to include in so many recipes. Alberta Pulse Growers support over 6,000 farmers who grow pulses and one of my favorite pulses is black beans!
What are Pulses? Pulses include dry peas, beans, lentils, and chickpeas. A complete list of pulse varieties and some amazing recipes can be found on the Alberta Pulse Growers website. They are a great choice for vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free diets. My Black Bean Frittata Bites are a delicious meatless, protein-dense recipe.
For this recipe I used dry black beans which must be soaked overnight for 8-24 hours, then boiled until tender. If you prefer, you can use canned beans which are ready to use. Complete instructions for preparing and using dry pulses in recipes can be found on Alberta Pulse Grower's website. Black Bean Frittata Bites include an assortment of veggies that boost the flavor and make these frittatas bites even more healthful. Change them up any way you like with your favorite veggies.
A creative lunch box recipe that the kids will love, using simple ingredients.
Saute the vegetables until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the black beans (Doesn't this look tasty). I could eat it just like this! Next whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and stir into the vegetable bean mixture. Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray and scoop about ¼ cup of mixture into each muffin.
Top with some shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
Bake 350ºF for 20-25 minutes.
Black Bean Frittata Bites
- 1 cup black beans canned or pre-soaked
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup fresh carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup cheddar-mozzarella cheese shredded
- If using dried black beans, remove any shrivelled or broken beans. Rinse under cold running water. Soak ½ cup dried beans in 1 ½ cup cool water overnight (8-12 hours). Rinse and strain. Next combine soaked beans with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes until beans reach desired tenderness..
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Canned black beans must be rinsed with cool running water and strained.
- In large skillet saute vegetables until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in black beans.
- In large bowl using a fork, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Add the beans and vegetables.
- Scoop about a ¼ cup of the mixture into mini muffin pans. Should make approximately 24 egg bites.
- Top with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 350º for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool and refrigerate.
It's Back to School and Back to Healthy Eating Routine with the help of Alberta Pulse Growers!
Looking for another great recipe using pulses, check out my very popular recipe Ham and Bean Soup.
Did you enjoyed this recipe? Please come back to rate it and share on Pinterest or Facebook. Thank you!
Awesome recipe! Also, the photos are stunning. ART & the Kitchen, indeed!
Thank you kindly Jennifer!
These frittata bites look so delicious!! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!
thank you Isadora