It is so easy to make a perfect, mouthwatering Simple Pan Fried Steak during those cold winter months when the BBQ is tucked away.
Start with a high quality cut of beef when pan frying such as tenderloin, ribeye or New York strip. The key to achieving a tender, juicy steak to to get a great sear both sides of the steak. If you have a thick cut finish it off in the oven until it reaches your desired doneness. I made this Simple Pan Fried Steak in my well used cast iron frying pan. Perfect for stovetop to oven cooking.
Prior to cooking leave steaks sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. I prefer simple seasoning on my steaks, just kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a fresh rosemary sprig (Fresh thyme also tastes great). If you like steak spice, by all means add some.
Heat olive oil in heavy skillet. Add steak and sear 3-4 minutes. Turn steaks, add a pat of butter and fresh rosemary sprig to pan. Ladle butter over steak as it cooks. Cook to your desired doneness.
If you have thick steaks have oven preheated to 350ºF. After searing steaks on both sides 3-4 minutes transfer skillet to oven to continue to cook until desired doneness. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes. One of my favourite tools for cooking steak to the perfect temperature is my handy instant read digital thermometer.
Internal Cooking Temperature for Steak
Rare: 125-130ºF Medium Rare: 130-140ºF Medium: 140-150ºF
Medium Well: 150-155ºF Well done: 160+ºF
Prior to serving top with a pat of butter and serve with some homemade fries or try my Parmesan Oven Roasted Potatoes. Delicious!!
Simple Pan Fried Steak
- 2 thick cut steaks tenderloin, ribeye or New York strip
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary fresh thyme also tastes great
- 4 tablespoon butter
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Remove steak from refrigerator, pat dry with paper towel.
- Generously season steak with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- In heavy skillet heat olive oil
- Add steak and sear on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes. Do not move steak around or you won't get a nice sear.
- Using tongs turn steak, add 2 tablespoons of butter and fresh sprig of rosemary.
- Ladle melted butter over steak as you sear other side for another 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer pan to preheated to 350º oven to complete cooking to desired doneness.
- Well cooked to desired temperature remove from skillet, cover loosely with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Top with a little pat of butter before serving (optional)