This Panko Roasted Carrots recipe is a crunchy twist on oven roast carrots. A delightful side dish that is quick and easy to prepare.
Carrots are such a versatile vegetable, whether steamed, glazed or roasted, their natural sweetness and vibrant color make them a favorite vegetable. This simple side dish recipe takes only minutes of prep time and is perfect to serve any day or as part of your holiday dinner.
Panko bread crumbs add a toasted, crisp coating to carrots, making them kid-friendly! As well, the golden-brown coating creates an impressive looking side dish; a perfect complement to main courses such as Pan-seared Steak or Sunday Dinner Chicken.
- Panko breadcrumbs - these Japanese-style breadcrumbs are perfect for a light, crispy coating.
- Carrots - if using garden fresh there is no need to peel. For larger carrots peel and cut. Baby carrots are fine left whole.
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic pairs wonderfully with carrots.
- Parsley - fresh parsley balances the flavors and adds color to the dish.
- Olive Oil - the olive oil helps the breadcrumbs adhere to the carrots as well as giving the carrots that crisp, caramelized texture.
- Salt - I prefer Pink Himalayan salt, but any coarse salt will work.
- Pepper - fresh ground pepper.
See recipe card for quantities.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
Place on a lined baking sheet and roast at 400ºF for 15-20 until fork tender.
Experiment with different seasonings.
- Spicy roasted carrots - add spices such as smoked paprika or cayenne pepper for a hint of heat.
- Herb roasted carrots - add fresh herbs like thyme, basil, or oregano. (Ground herbs also work)
- Honey roasted carrots -toss in a tablespoon of honey. Maple syrup would also taste great if you like a sweeter roast carrot.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze or top with some grated parmesan cheese.
Roasting the carrots at a high temperature brings out the natural sweetness, yet keeps them tender and crisp. If you like the carrots more caramelized increase the oven temperature to 425ºF and roast for an additional 5 minutes. Keep checking so you do not burn the Panko breadcrumbs!
Panko Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb fresh carrots Larger carrots, peel and slice. Garden fresh or baby carrots do not need to be peeled.
- ⅓ cup red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt I prefer pink Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place carrots and red onion In a large bowl.
- Add the minced garlic and fresh parsley.
- Tossed together with olive oil.
- Sprinkle in the Panko breadcrumbs and toss to evenly coat the carrots.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the carrots (single layer) on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.