I have been making this moist and delicious recipe for banana bread for years! This easy to make recipe for Best Banana Bread is one of my favorite recipes using overripe bananas.
It was time to do something with the overripe bananas I had. They were creating an overwhelming, ripe banana scent in my kitchen. I have tried many banana bread recipes over the years, but always come back to this old-time favorite recipe. This best banana bread recipe makes two loaves. Occasionally I use my square bundt pan to make a decorative loaf.
This quick and easy recipe will have you enjoying fresh from the oven banana bread in no time! Banana Spice cookies or my super popular Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting are also great recipes to try for using up your overripe bananas.
Can you freeze banana bread?
Yes, cool completely, then wrap with plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Tips for making this recipe.
Use only overripe bananas. The peel should be dark brown, almost black with a few patches of yellow. Overripe bananas become naturally sweeter and enhance the flavor of any banana recipe.
The size of bananas may vary significantly. For accuracy, I mash the bananas slightly with a fork and then measure by the cup. Generally, three cups of mashed bananas equal about 5-6 medium-sized bananas.
I add sour cream to my best banana bread recipe. It helps to make a moist banana bread. You can substitute full fat greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Can you use frozen bananas?
Yes, thaw the bananas completely to room temperature and strain any extra liquid out.
Freezing overripe bananas is great to do when you can't use them right away. Simply place the bananas in a freezer bag and store for 3-6 months.
Additional ingredients you can add to this recipe.
Chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans
Peanut butter chips
This post was originally published August 15, 2015. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update January 27, 2023.
Best Banana Bread
- 3 cups overripe bananas slightly mashed about 5-6 medium sized bananas
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sour cream full fat greek yogurt will also work
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Lightly grease baking pan with butter.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, in a large bowl blend the bananas and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and combine. Do not overmix.
- Stir in sour cream and blend just until incorporated.
- Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans or 1 (10 cup size) bundt cake pan.
- Bake 350º F for about 50- 60 minutes.
- Check when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in pan, then remove and cool completely on wire baking rack.