Easy Sour Cherry Sauce is a simple recipe that is ready in minutes and tastes AMAZING! Made with fresh sour cherries also known as tart cherries.
Sour cherries are a tasty fruit that may be a tad too tart to eat fresh but are wonderful in pies, jams, sauces, cocktails and even savoury dishes like pork chops! Easy Sour Cherry sauce is fantastic on pancakes, ice cream, yogurt and cheesecake and more. Love it on my Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake!
The only time consuming part of making this sauce is pitting the cherries, but once that is done this tasty sauce comes together in minutes. I like my sauce a bit more tart but do some taste testing as it is simmering and add more sugar if desired. If you like your sauce thicker or thinner simply add more or less cornstarch.
Easy Sour Cherry Sauce
- 6 cups sour cherries pitted and stems removed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- Add pitted cherries to large saucepan.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes until cherries release all their juices.
- Taste and add more sugar if you like sauce a bit sweeter.
- While constantly stirring sprinkle in cornstarch and cook for additional 3-4 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and cool. Sauce keeps well in the refrigerator for several days and also freezes very well.
Enjoy this other great recipe made with sour cherries, Jack Daniels Sour Cherry Cobbler