I used apples freshly picked from my very own apple tree. My little backyard tree grows quite large apples for an Alberta apple tree. I don't know what variety of tree it is but the apples taste similar to a MacIntosh. After coating the cupcake with the chewy caramel topping I decorated it with some spun sugar. I just did a youtube search on how to make spun sugar, it was so easy!
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large apples shredded no peels
- 1 ½ cups caramels
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat to 350 degrees . Line a cupcake pan with baking liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the oil and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour mixture until just combined
- Stir in the apples.
- Divide batter equally into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 350º 25 -30 mins. until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- In a small, microwavable bowl, combine the caramels and cream. Microwave for 1 minute at medium power, then stir; repeat in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Let cool slightly, then spread generously on the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate with spun sugar.