Indulge in some great Old Fashioned Butter Tarts. This butter tart recipe is a Canadian classic dessert recipe with sweet, slightly runny filling and flaky melt in your mouth made from scratch pastry. This is hands down the best butter tart recipe that you can find!
This best recipe for Old Fashioned Butter Tarts is a popular treat for holiday baking but tastes so terrific you'll want to bake them up throughout the year. My recipe for butter tarts gets rave reviews with its perfect consistency of the gooey sweet filling and the homemade tarts shells that are crisp and flaky.
Your family will be requesting these desserts for all the family parties to come!
How Long Does It Take to Make Butter Tarts?
This butter tart recipe can be made and ready to eat in less than an hour! 50 minutes to be exact.
What is a butter tart?
Put simply, a butter tart is a small pastry with a filling of butter, eggs, brown sugar, and raisins (optional).
How to Make Butter Tart Recipe:
Butter Tart Pastry:
- Sift flour, salt, and sugar together
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles course meal
- Add cold water a small amount at a time until it holds together
- Press together and shape
- Cover and refrigerate
Butter Tart Filling:
- In a large bowl mix together butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Stir until dissolved
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix well
- Fill shells with the filling
- Let cool in pan for about 15 minutes
Every family Christmas someone brought butter tarts and they always seemed the first treat to disappear. I think the true test of an exceptional butter tart is the crust, and in my opinion, that means making the shells from scratch. This crust recipe is light, flaky, and buttery tasting! The filling is so simple to prepare and can be used as-is (my preference) or add raisins or pecans.
Old Fashioned Butter Tarts
- Tart Shell Pastry
- 2 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter chilled and cut into pieces
- ¼-1/2 cup ice cold water
- Butter Tart Filling
- ½ cup soft butter
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup corn syrup golden
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Butter Tart Pastry
- Sift flour, salt and sugar together.
- Using pastry blender cut butter into flour mix until resembles course meal.
- Add cold water a bit at a time until dough just starts to hold together. (too much water will make for a tough dough).
- Press dough together and shape into disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out tart dough and cut 16 4-inch circles.
- Press dough in muffin cups (try not to stretch dough).
- Refrigerate until filling is prepared.
- Butter Tart Filling
- In large bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir until butter is creamed and sugar is dissolved.
- Add eggs, vanilla and pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Fill tart shells with filling.
- Bake 400F for 15-20 minutes.
- Filling should be lightly browned and still bubbling.
- Let tarts cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
Nanaimo Bars are another fabulous Canadian treat that you must try.