Tender strips of beef smothered in a creamy stroganoff sauce cooked in the slow cooker. This is the ultimate comfort food!
What I like about using the slow cooker for this beef stroganoff recipe is that you can use a less expensive cut of beef. I used a sirloin roast and sliced it into thin strips. Can this recipe be made without a slow cooker? Yes, but for a traditional beef stroganoff recipe use a good quality cut of beef that is well-marbled, like ribeye. For a budget-friendly version, you can even use ground beef to make hamburger beef stroganoff using this recipe.
Ingredients for making beef stroganoff.
- Beef: I used a sirloin tip roast, but if you choose to do this recipe on the stovetop instead of the slow cooker go for a better cut of beef like ribeye.
- Mushrooms: White mushrooms are what I used in this recipe. Cremini or portobello mushrooms also work well.
- Red wine: Use a hearty red wine like cabernet or merlot. The red wine adds sensational flavor to this recipe. Can you skip the red wine? Yes, but the stroganoff will be missing that extra rich taste.
- Beef Broth: A low-sodium variety works the best. This allows you to adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Mustard: This recipe calls for two types of mustard, Dijon and whole-grain mustard. Using both mustards adds a robust flavor to the stroganoff.
- Sour Cream: Either full fat or reduced-fat sour cream will work. You can also substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt.
How to make the best beef stroganoff in the slow cooker.
To make this recipe easy to prepare, start by having all the ingredients pre-measured and ready to go.
Slice the beef into strips, season with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.
Heat olive oil in the skillet and sear beef on both sides. Work in small batches, if you overcrowd the pan the meat will steam and you won't get a nice sear. Transfer to the slow cooker.
In the same skillet add the butter, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté until tender. Transfer to slow cooker.
Deglaze the skillet with red wine. Add the beef broth, paprika, and both mustards.
Pour the broth over the beef in the slow cooker. Combine and cook for 4 hours on low setting or 2 hours on high setting.
If you find the broth is not thick enough, ladle out ½ cup of broth. Whisk the broth together with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir into the beef and cook on high for an additional 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. Before serving stir the sour cream into the beef stroganoff. Serve over egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or, my recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is by far one of the best beef stroganoff recipes I've ever made. Fork tender beef in a rich savoury gravy!
- 1 ½ pound beef I used sirloin.
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Fresh parsley, chives or green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- Cut beef into slices, season with salt and pepper.
- Dust the slices of beef with flour.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, and sear meat on both sides.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add the butter. Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until tender. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the skillet with red wine.
- Stir in the beef broth, paprika and both mustards.
- Pour over the beef and stir together.
- Cook on low setting for 4-5 hours or high setting for approximately 2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the sour cream.
- Garnish with fresh parley, chives or green onions.
- Serve with egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or mashed potatoes.
If you find the broth is not thick enough, ladle out ½ cup of broth. Whisk the broth together with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir into the beef and cook on high for an additional 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Calories: 382kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 29gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 330mgPotassium: 675mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 382IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!