Tender beef smothering a creamy mushroom gravy sauce. This slow cooker beef stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food!
This crockpot recipe is great because you can use less expensive cuts of beef, yet have beef that is fork-tender. I use a sirloin roast that I cut into thin strips. This stroganoff recipe can be made even more budget-friendly by using ground beef.
Ingredients for making beef stroganoff.
- Beef: I used a sirloin tip roast, but if you choose to do this recipe on the stovetop instead of the slow cooker go for a better cut of beef like ribeye.
- Mushrooms: White mushrooms are what I used in this recipe. Cremini or portobello mushrooms also work well.
- Red wine: Use a hearty red wine like cabernet or merlot. The red wine adds sensational flavor to this recipe. Can you skip the red wine? Yes, but the stroganoff will be missing that extra rich taste.
- Beef Broth: A low-sodium variety works the best. This allows you to adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Mustard: This recipe calls for two types of mustard, Dijon and whole-grain mustard. Using both mustards adds a robust flavor to the stroganoff.
- Sour Cream: Either full fat or reduced-fat sour cream will work. You can also substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt.
How to make this recipe in the slow cooker.
Make this recipe easy to prepare by having all the ingredients pre-measured and ready to go .
Slice the beef into thin strips, season with salt and pepper. Dust lightly with flour.
Heat olive oil in heavy skillet and sear beef on both sides. Work in batches. Do not over-crowd the skillet or the meat will steam rather than get a nice sear. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Using the same skillet, add the butter, onions, mushroom and garlic. Sauté until tender. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Deglaze the skillet with red wine. Stir in the beef broth, paprika, and mustards.
Pour the broth over the beef. Combine and cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours on low setting or 2 hours on high setting.
If the broth does not thicken enough, ladle out ½ cup of broth. Whisk the broth together with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir into the beef stroganoff and cook on high for an additional 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Before serving stir in the sour cream. Serve over egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or rice. I love this beef stroganoff recipe served with my garlic mashed potatoes.
More great slow cooker recipes to try.
Roast beef made in a Slow Cooker
This post was originally published January 10, 2013. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content and photos. Current update February 18, 2021.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 1 ½ pound beef I used sirloin.
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Fresh parsley, chives or green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- Cut beef into slices, season with salt and pepper.
- Dust the slices of beef with flour.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, and sear meat on both sides.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add the butter. Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until tender. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the skillet with red wine.
- Stir in the beef broth, paprika and both mustards.
- Pour over the beef and stir together.
- Cook on low setting for 4-5 hours or high setting for approximately 2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the sour cream.
- Garnish with fresh parley, chives or green onions.
- Serve with egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or mashed potatoes.
I am going to try out this recipe tomorrow. I make beef stroganoff often but thought I would try it with my new slow cooker (crock pot). At first I was thinking along like Tanya, but I am sure the meat will be so very tender this way.
Hope you enjoy the recipe Don
Oh my goodness. I am just finished pouring the last into the crockpot and can already tell this is a WINNER.
THANK YOU- glad I found on Pinterest! Going to serve on spaghetti squash to lighten us up .
Awesome Susan, great idea to serve with spaghetti squash.
Love the flavor of Beef Stroganoff but do not like mushrooms....can this be made without the mushrooms?
Pamela you can leave the mushrooms out and it will still taste delicious!
I think this looks great! I'm going to use venison and my slow cooker can be used on the stove (thus losing a extra pan to wash). It sounds delightful. Tomorrow is the big day!!! Thank you! 🙂 I use recipes as a guideline. I'm sure this will be fabulous!
Hey Tysh, I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Like the idea of using venison.
Sounds delish! I am going to prep everything right now and then it will be ready to be thrown into the slow cooker on my lunch break tomorrow. Thanks so much 🙂 I will be checking out your other recipes.
Love to know how you liked the recipe Koral. Aren't slow cooker the best.
Have made this several times now. Doesn't matter how much I make. There are never any leftovers. Very tasty.
Thank you Lynne, yes it is a family friendly recipe - meaning never any leftovers! ha ha
Hi, this sounds wonderful. Just 1 question - what does the red wine do? I'm a Newby at cooking with wine and I want to understand what the red wine does. Please advise. Thank you.
Hi Lisa, the red wine add a delicious depth of flavour to the dish.
This will be the second time I've made this recipe. Love it! So tasty and the meat turns out so tender. This will be my go to stroganoff recipe. Pairing the left over red wine is always a plus with dinner!
Hi Alana, how nice of you to comment, thank you. I am thrilled you enjoyed the recipe. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.
I'm on my way home to this recipe right now! I'm so excited!! Thank u for ur post! ?
Love to hear back after you have tried the recipe Kelly.
It is delicious and not a lot of prep time.
thank you Penny, glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂
I made this with caribou and it was awesome!
I bet it was so tasty with caribou!
Estelle K. George
What kind of wine do you use for the beef stroganoff? The recipe looks fantastic!
Estelle K. George
Do you use a pinot red wine or merlot red wine?
Estelle K. George
Another question! Does it matter how thick or thin the slices of beef ?
Hi Estelle, I usually use a cabernet sauvignon, but any good full bodied red wine works. I use what I like to drink and have on hand. I slice the meat to about 1/4 inch thickness. Hope you enjoy the recipe.
Used a cab/merlot, delish.
I tried this recipe and it was super delicious! I just made a few changes simply because I did not have all the required ingredients. I used ground mustard instead of grainy one and I used topping sour cream, which I added to the slow cooker for the last half hour or so, as I wanted a creamier sauce. It was so delicious that my older son (who hates mushrooms) devoured everything and suggested we serve this dish as main course for our family Christmas lunch!! 🙂 Thanks a lot xx
Fantastic, glad you enjoyed the recipe. I sure appreciate Stephania that you took the time to comment 🙂
Hi Lauren, I was hoping u could tell me the kind/cut of beef u used for the beef stroganoff? Thanks.
My favorite to use is a sirloin tip.
This looks delicious! I'm a little confused on the directions for length of cooking time. It says: "Cook on low setting for 4-5 hours or low setting for approximately 2 hours." Should it be Low 4-5 hrs or High for 2? Thanks in advance!
thanks for catching that typo Julie, yes 4-5 hours on low setting, or 2 hours on high setting. Enjoy!
Followed it exacly and it turned out really good. Felt like it was missing something, i added a tsp of ginger...its awesome! Thanks for your recipe(just add ginger lol).
Interesting adding ginger Wes.