Tender beef smothering a creamy mushroom gravy sauce. This slow cooker beef stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food!
This crockpot recipe is great because you can use less expensive cuts of beef, yet have beef that is fork-tender. I use a sirloin roast that I cut into thin strips. This stroganoff recipe can be made even more budget-friendly by using ground beef.
Ingredients for making beef stroganoff.
- Beef: I used a sirloin tip roast, but if you choose to do this recipe on the stovetop instead of the slow cooker go for a better cut of beef like ribeye.
- Mushrooms: White mushrooms are what I used in this recipe. Cremini or portobello mushrooms also work well.
- Red wine: Use a hearty red wine like cabernet or merlot. The red wine adds sensational flavor to this recipe. Can you skip the red wine? Yes, but the stroganoff will be missing that extra rich taste.
- Beef Broth: A low-sodium variety works the best. This allows you to adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Mustard: This recipe calls for two types of mustard, Dijon and whole-grain mustard. Using both mustards adds a robust flavor to the stroganoff.
- Sour Cream: Either full fat or reduced-fat sour cream will work. You can also substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt.
How to make this recipe in the slow cooker.
Make this recipe easy to prepare by having all the ingredients pre-measured and ready to go .
Slice the beef into thin strips, season with salt and pepper. Dust lightly with flour.
Heat olive oil in heavy skillet and sear beef on both sides. Work in batches. Do not over-crowd the skillet or the meat will steam rather than get a nice sear. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Using the same skillet, add the butter, onions, mushroom and garlic. Sauté until tender. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Deglaze the skillet with red wine. Stir in the beef broth, paprika, and mustards.
Pour the broth over the beef. Combine and cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours on low setting or 2 hours on high setting.
If the broth does not thicken enough, ladle out ½ cup of broth. Whisk the broth together with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir into the beef stroganoff and cook on high for an additional 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Before serving stir in the sour cream. Serve over egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or rice. I love this beef stroganoff recipe served with my garlic mashed potatoes.
This post was originally published January 10, 2013. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content and photos. Current update February 18, 2021.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 1 ½ pound beef I used sirloin.
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Fresh parsley, chives or green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- Cut beef into slices, season with salt and pepper.
- Dust the slices of beef with flour.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, and sear meat on both sides.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add the butter. Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until tender. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the skillet with red wine.
- Stir in the beef broth, paprika and both mustards.
- Pour over the beef and stir together.
- Cook on low setting for 4-5 hours or high setting for approximately 2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the sour cream.
- Garnish with fresh parley, chives or green onions.
- Serve with egg noodles, broad noodles, polenta or mashed potatoes.