Date Squares are delicious layers of sweet date filling between crumbly chewy oatmeal crust and topping.
Date Squares – Matrimonial Bars is an old fashioned square recipe that my Mom always made. This recipe comes from my Mom’s well used, stained Hilroy scribbler. Each recipe lovingly hand written.
Date Squares- Matrimonial Bars
An old-fashioned dessert made with wonderful sweet datesPrint Rate
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 lb dates chopped
- 11/3 cups water
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- In heavy saucepan, mix together dates, water, and granulated sugar.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer for approximately 5-10 minutes until dates have softened and water has evaporated .
- In large mixing bowl combine together oatmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mix and mix until coarse crumbles. (I use a pastry blender for this)
- Pour 1/2 of crumble mix into bottom of baking pan, press down.
- Pour date mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Cover with remaining crumb mix, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes and top nicely browned.
- Cut into squares.
Here’s another terrific square recipe to enjoy Nanaimo Bars