This old fashioned recipe for Date Squares consists of a delicious layer of sweet date filling sandwiched between a crumbly chewy oatmeal crust.
My Mom baked Date Squares often and it is one of her most treasured recipes. Sweet and yummy these Date squares are also know as matrimonial squares. They were always part of holiday baking in our home.
Date Squares- Matrimonial Bars
Sweeet dates between buttery chewy oatmeal layersPrint Pin Rate
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 lb dates chopped
- 11/3 cups water
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- In heavy saucepan, mix together dates, water, and granulated sugar.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer for approximately 5-10 minutes until dates have softened and water has evaporated .
- In large mixing bowl combine together oatmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mix and mix until coarse crumbles. (I use a pastry blender for this)
- Pour 1/2 of crumble mix into bottom of baking pan, press down.
- Pour date mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Cover with remaining crumb mix, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes and top nicely browned.
- Cut into squares.
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 259mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.9mg
Enjoy another terrific square recipe Nanaimo Bars