Ground Turkey Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can egg
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook rice (I used my rice cooker prepared as per cooker instructions)
- Fill large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cut core out of cabbage head.
- Place cabbage into boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from water and using tongs gently separate cabbage leaves. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- In skillet heat olive oil, add onions and carrots, sauté until onions are translucent.
- In large bowl combine ground turkey, sautéed onions, carrots, rice, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of the tomato soup.
- Blend until combined but don't overwork mixture.
- Grease a 1-2 quart baking pan.
- Place 2 layers of cabbage leaves into baking pan.
- Scoop turkey mixture on top of cabbage, spread evenly.
- Cover with 2 layers of cabbage leaves.
- Top with remaining tomato soup.
- Cover and bake 350º for 1 hour 30 minutes. Uncover to brown top for last 15 minutes of baking.
Does your family like casseroles? Then be sure to try my family favourite Classic Tuna Casserole