This recipe for Turkey Cabbage Roll Casserole takes the hard work out of rolling cabbage rolls but gives you the same delicious flavour. For this cabbage roll recipe I used lean ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Turkey Cabbage Roll Casserole is pure comfort food and with this recipe you get the same delicious taste of cabbage rolls without spending considerable time rolling them. I don't have the skill my Grandma and Mom had to make perfectly rolled cabbage rolls, but if you do this recipe can be easily adapted. Ground turkey is a terrific, tasty and healthy substitution for ground beef.
Easy to follow step by step instructions:Cut core from cabbage head.Bring water to boil, cook cabbage for 3-5 minutes.Using tongs to separate leaves.Saute onions and carrotsIn large bowl mix together all ingredients.Mix until combined, but do not over work mixture.Grease baking pan. Place 2 layers of cabbage leaves.Scoop turkey mixture on top of cabbage, spread evenly.Cover with 2 more layers of cabbage leaves.Top with tomato soup.Cover and bake 350º for 1 hour 30 minutes; uncover to brown last 15 minutes.
Ground Turkey Cabbage Roll Casserole
Take the hard work out of making cabbage roll with this easy to make Ground Turkey Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 ½ cups cooked white rice
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can egg
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook rice (I used my rice cooker prepared as per cooker instructions)
- Fill large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cut core out of cabbage head.
- Place cabbage into boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from water and using tongs gently separate cabbage leaves. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- In skillet heat olive oil, add onions and carrots, sauté until onions are translucent.
- In large bowl combine ground turkey, sautéed onions, carrots, rice, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of the tomato soup.
- Blend until combined but don't overwork mixture.
- Grease a 1-2 quart baking pan.
- Place 2 layers of cabbage leaves into baking pan.
- Scoop turkey mixture on top of cabbage, spread evenly.
- Cover with 2 layers of cabbage leaves.
- Top with remaining tomato soup.
- Cover and bake 350º for 1 hour 30 minutes. Uncover to brown top for last 15 minutes of baking.
Calories: 256kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 23gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 714mgPotassium: 835mgFiber: 5gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 2151IUVitamin C: 63mgCalcium: 89mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Does your family like casseroles? Then be sure to try my family favourite Classic Tuna Casserole