Holiday baking with your children is a magical time for making lifelong memories. Who can’t recall time spent with your Mom or Grandma baking cookies and treats, licking spoons, our clothes all covered in flour. While my son was growing up I loved having his friends come over to make gingerbread houses or decorate sugar cookies. We would all wear Santa hats, play Holiday music and make a complete mess of the kitchen.
This year my son was away at University and not able to be at home to help with with some Christmas baking, so his very special friends Jenn and Scott came over to decorate cookies with me. We wore our Santa hats, and now all grown up, we enjoyed some cranberry cosmopolitans as we decorated cookies. Getting the kids involved Holiday baking is so much fun and leaves a lifetime of memories.
One Holiday treat my family always enjoys is chocolate coated popcorn flavoured with candy cane pieces. Smashing the candy canes into little bits seems to be the job kids love best. With my little helpers I made candy cane coated popcorn into tasty Candy Cane Popcorn Balls. The candy canes worked great as a decorative edible stick.
Candy Cane Popcorn Balls
- 1 bag plain popcorn popped about 12 cups
- 4 oz good quality white chocolate
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup crushed up candy canes
- Pop popcorn in microwave, transfer to large bowl, remove any unpopped kernels.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces, then melt in microwave at 50% power, stir occasionally. Don’t overcook! Just until melted.
- In large bowl melt butter in microwave.
- Stir in marshmallows, return to microwave and heat until marshmallows are melted.
- Drizzle chocolate over popcorn, stir to coat all the popcorn.
- Pour melted marshmallows over popcorn stirring constantly to coat all popcorn.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes throughout popcorn.
- Coat hands with butter and form popcorn into balls.
- While balls are still soft insert whole candy cane into popcorn to form stick.
Enjoy this other great popcorn recipe White Chocolate Candy Cane Popcorn