The ingredients you’ll need to make perfect cut out sugar cookies.
- Butter – the butter must be soft but not overly so. When you press your finger into it with a little pressure it leaves an indentation but doesn’t sink into the butter. I use unsalted butter, but if you use salted butter simply reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- Sugar – just plain white granulated sugar.
- Vanilla bean– I love the superior flavor you get from vanilla beans, but they are sometimes hard to find and expensive. One teaspoon of pure vanilla extract will work as well.
- Eggs – bring to room temperature. Set eggs out on the counter 30 minutes before you bake.
- Flour– all-purpose flour. Do not sift before measuring. Simply scoop from flour container. Use exact measurement!
- Salt– I prefer using Kosher salt for baking.
- Optional Ingredients – add a different flavor to the sugar cookies by adding 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice. For a zesty orange flavor add 1 1/2 teaspoons of cardamom and 1 tbsp of orange zest.
Tips and Tricks for making perfect sugar cookies.
After the cookies are cut out, place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Next, chill in the freezer for 5 minutes. Chilling is important for cookies to hold their shape.
Best Ever Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups butter room temperature soft
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs + extra yolk
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- Using electric mixer with paddle attachment beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 mins.
- Add vanilla bean and mix well.
- Add eggs and egg yolk. Combine well.
- Add the flour mix a bit at a time. Combine until mixed, but avoid over mixing.
- Divide dough into 2 separate pieces. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On well floured work surface roll disk out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with cookie cutter shape of your choice and transfer to baking sheet. To avoid dough sticking to cookie cutters dip them in bowl of flour, shaking off any excess.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer for about 5 minutes or refrigerator for 10 mins. This helps the cookies hold their shape and not spread.
- Bake 8-10 minutes (just until edges start to brown).
- Allow to cool a bit on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Decorate with Royal Icing.
This is an easy, classic sugar cookie recipe. If you want to try a sugar cookie with a bit of a twist to it, try my Candy Cane Sugar Cookie recipe.
Be sure to these other tasty cookie recipes.