After years of making sugar cookies this is my Best Ever Sugar Cookies recipe. Very tasty and perfect for decorating!
Its that time of year again to get baking. My Christmas baking starts with sugar cookies that I use for decorating with Royal Icing. I have tried many sugar cookie recipes and have been disappointed by them tasting flavourless. So after many trial and errors I’ve finally come up with the BEST EVER Sugar Cookies recipe. I make two flavours, Pumpkin Spice and Cardamom Orange.
These sugar cookies cut out beautifully and bake with nice sharp edges.
I have a large collection of cookie cutters. Vintage ones from my Mom and beautiful copper cookie cutters in all my favorite holiday shapes.
Best Ever Sugar Cookies
After years of making sugar cookies this is my Best Ever Sugar Cookies recipe. Very tasty and perfect for decorating!Print Rate
Servings: 3 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + extra yolk
- 2 tsp Pumpkin spice OR 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest if using cardamom spice
- Sift together flour, salt and pumpkin spice. (see notes for Cardamom orange flavour)
- Using electric mixer beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 mins.
- Add vanilla bean and mix well.
- Add eggs and combine well.
- Slowly add the flour mix a bit at a time.
- Separate dough into 2 separate pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On floured work surface roll disk out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with cookie cutter shape of your choice and transfer to baking sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer for about 5 minutes or refrigerator for 10 mins. (this helps cookies hold their shape and not spread out).
- Bake 8-10 minutes (just until edges start to brown).
- Cool completely and decorate with Royal Icing.
*For Cardamom Orange flavour add cardamom spice to flour mixture and orange zest after combining butter and sugar. *you can substitute 1 tsp vanilla for vanilla bean
Calories: 1821kcal | Carbohydrates: 221g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 96g | Saturated Fat: 59g | Cholesterol: 353mg | Sodium: 1631mg | Potassium: 234mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 100g | Vitamin A: 2995IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 8mg
Another great sugar cookie recipe to try Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
Enjoy these other great cookies recipes! Mom’s Shortbread Cookies and my favourite recipe for Gingerbread Cookies