St Patrick’s Day Cupcakes start with a terrific made from scratch chocolate cupcake recipe. Each cupcake is then topped with Baileys Irish Cream Frosting and a white chocolate Shamrock.
We have had a lot of fun celebrating St Patrick’s Day over the years. When our son was little he was fascinated by Leprechauns so we would make up hilarious scenarios of what tricky little Leprechauns would do for St Patrick’s Day. While he was sleeping the Leprechauns would paint green stripes on our white Maltese dog, take all the underwear out of our draws and hang it all over the house. They would even paint the snow in the front yard green! Of course they would also leave a pot of gold which was usually some chocolate wrapped coins.
I like to make a festive treats for St Patrick’s Day and these cupcakes were delicious! A chocolatey, moist cupcake that is covered with Baileys Irish Cream frosting. The decorative shamrock is made with white chocolate with swirls of green. I used a shamrock shaped cookie cutter to cut out the shape.
St Patrick's Day Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 7 tbsp Baileys Irish Cream
- For Shamrock Decorations
- 8 oz good quality white chocolate
- green gel food colouring
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners for 18 cupcakes
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy.
- In separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add alternately flour mix and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan/cupcakes.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Baileys Irish Cream Frosting
- Beat butter and icing sugar together until fluffy.
- Add 7 tablespoons of Baileys Irish Cream, beat until well combined.
- If necessary add more Irish Cream until desired consistency.
- Shamrock White Chocolate Wafers
- Melt 1 cup white chocolate in double boiler or microwave (50% power). Spread evenly onto parchment paper.
- Before Chocolate cools, dip tip of toothpick into green food colouring gel. Then using tip of toothpick make swirls into the chocolate
- Let cool, then cut out shape with Shamrock cookie cutter.
- You may have to cool in fridge for short time to harden enough to cut shapes.
Shamrock Sugar Cookies also make a great festive treat for St. Patrick’s Day.