Irish Colcannon is a recipe that takes mashed potatoes to a whole new level. This recipe makes the creamiest potatoes with flavourful kale.
There are a variety of recipes for Irish Colcannon, some using cabbage or parsnips, but the most traditional uses Kale. Kale is an amazing super food and adds great flavour to this mashed potato dish.
I love when different celebrations throughout the year put one on a search for new recipes. Browsing through many Irish recipes for St Patrick’s Day I came across this one from Edible Ireland.
Creamy mashed potatoes flavoured with kale.Print Pin Rate
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 cups potatoes I used Yukon Gold
- 3 cups kale finely chopped, tough rib center removed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tbsp butter
- fresh ground pepper
- Peel potatoes, and cut in to quarters.
- Cook in large pot of salted water until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 1 tbsp. butter in large frying pan.
- Add kale and cook over medium heat until softened and turned a vibrant green.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add milk and 4 tbsp. butter, heat until butter is melted.
- With electric mixer or potato masher, mash potatoes until fluffy.
- Add milk and butter, combine well.
- Stir in kale, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish, top with dollop of butter.
recipe adapted from Edible Ireland
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 1096mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88.2% | Vitamin C: 87.5% | Calcium: 15.4% | Iron: 41.1%
Enjoy this other great recipe with kale and potatoes, Bacon Kale Potato Salad