Amazing tasting Basket Weaved Bacon Meatloaf starts with a fabulous meatloaf recipe. Topped with a layer of cheddar cheese and wrapped in a bacon weave!
Meatloaf is pure comfort food and this recipe that adds a layer of bacon takes meatloaf to a whole new level. Weaving bacon is a simple process of alternating strips of bacon into a decorative, delicious "basket weave" design. This Basket Weaved Bacon Meatloaf is moist and incredibly flavourful! A super side dish to serve with it is my recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
This recipe is very easy to prepare and one your family will love. Doesn't everything taste better with bacon and a layer of cheese!
Basket Weave Bacon Meatloaf
A fantastic tasting meatloaf wrapped in a weaved layer of bacon.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- ¾ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 lb thick cut bacon 10-12 slices
- 4-5 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 1 can tomato paste small size
- Heat olive oil in skillet and sauté onions until golden.
- In large mixing bowl, combine together ground beef, sautéd onions, Italian bread crumbs.
- Add slightly beaten egg, mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Form into log and place in shallow baking pan.
- Spread thick layer of tomato paste over meatloaf.
- Add layer of cheddar cheese onto of tomato paste
- Top with basket woven bacon. Tuck edges under meatloaf.
- Bake uncovered 350 degrees for about 1 ½ hours internal temperature 160º
Calories: 540kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 38gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 1009mgPotassium: 797mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 537IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 150mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @ArtAndTheKitchen or tag #ArtAndTheKitchen!
Step by step instructions for basket weaved covered meatloaf.
assemble large enough layer of weaved bacon to cover meatloaf.
Place meatloaf into baking pan.
Cover meatloaf with thick layer of tomato paste.
Add layer of cheddar cheese slices.
Cover with layer of basket weaved bacon.
Another great meatloaf recipe to try Ham Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
Looks fabulous! Can't wait to try this one!
Thanks Wanda, I think even Garrett could make this!