Ham Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf is pure comfort food. This best ever meatloaf recipe is loaded with flavor and simple to make.
Certainly the layer of ham and mozzarella cheese takes this meatloaf recipe to a whole new level of deliciousness! Ground beef is mixed with bread crumbs and an assortment of spices, then rolled in a layer of ham and cheese. Topping off the meatloaf is rich tomato sauce and melted cheese. I like to serve Ham Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf with plain rice or my favorite recipe for Perfect Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Tips for Making the Perfect Meatloaf:
- Use lean ground beef, but not extra lean. The little bit of fat will help avoid a dry meatloaf and add flavor.
- Do not over mix. Mix just until ingredients are combined. Over mixing will make a dense meatloaf. Using your hands to mix works best!
- Be sure to soak the bread crumbs in the milk. Saltine crackers also work well.
- Do not over cook. The best way to ensure this is to use a meat thermometer. Insert into the centre of meatloaf. Done when internal temperature is 160ºF. About 1 hour for a 1 1/2 lb meatloaf.
- Once baked let meatloaf rest for 5-10 minutes at room temperature before slicing. This locks in the juices. Tenting with foil will keep it warm.
Ham Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 4-6 slices ham
- 4-6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- In small bowl combine together bread crumbs, milk and egg. Set aside while you prepare the ground beef.
- In large bowl add ground beef, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Mix gently until just combined.
- Add breadcrumb mixture and mix until just combined.
- On waxed paper, pat meat into approximately 8 by 10 rectangle.
- Top with slices of ham, then slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully roll up meat. Seal edges and ends.
- Place meatloaf into baking pan, seam side down.
- Top with tomato sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Bake 350º F for approximately 45-60 minutes. Internal temperature of 160º F
- Set oven to broil. Remove meatloaf from oven and top with extra cheese slices. Return to oven and bake just until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven (cover with foil, tented so foil doesn't touch meat). Allow meatloaf to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Enjoy this recipe and be sure to try my recipe for Swedish Meatballs.