Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Basil is a blend of garden fresh tomatoes, roasted garlic and fresh basil. A homestyle soup recipe with incredible flavor!
I have a ton of fresh tomatoes from my garden this year, so what does one do with all those tomatoes? I make the ultimate comfort food, tomato soup! This homemade tomato soup recipe may take a bit more time to prepare, but it pays off with exceptional taste and creamy texture.
Garden fresh, vine ripened tomatoes, roasted garlic cloves and fresh basil pack a ton of flavor! In addition to enjoying delicious roasted garlic tomato soup with basil, you have the comfort of knowing this soup has no additives or preservatives. Wow! an ingredient list you can pronounce! Double the recipe as it tastes even better the next day.
How to make tomato soup
- Start by roasting the garlic. This video illustrates how to make roasted garlic.
- While the garlic is roasting prepare the fresh tomatoes by peeling them. Check out this video that demonstrates an easy method for peeling fresh tomatoes.
- To put this soup together, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and sauté. Stir in the peeled tomatoes, roasted garlic, chicken broth, and fresh chopped basil. My recipe for Homemade Chicken Stock tastes awesome in this recipe, but store-bought will work as well. For a vegetarian version use a vegetable broth.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, then use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Stir in cream and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
What to serve with creamy homemade tomato soup?
Additional extras you can add.
- Make this into a hearty soup and serve as a main course by adding cooked pasta or quinoa.
- Add cooked rice for a tomato rice soup.
- Spice up the tomato soup by adding red pepper flakes.
This post was originally published May 15, 2014. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update August 19, 2023.
Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Basil
- 10-12 fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 bulb garlic roasted
- 6 leaves fresh basil finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper season to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt season to taste
- Heat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Cut the top off garlic bulb. Place cut side up in baking dish, drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Roast for about 30 minutes. (bulb will be very soft when squeezed).
- While garlic is roasting peel the tomatoes. This is an easy method for removing the skin from fresh tomatoes.
- Start a large pot of water boiling. Place tomatoes into the boiling water and boil for 20 seconds. Remove from boiling water and immediately immerse in bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes. When tomato has cooled a bit, make a slice in the top and pull skin away.
- Chop tomatoes into pieces.
- In large pot heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add diced onions and sauté medium heat until golden brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, roasted garlic, broth, and basil.
- Simmer soup for 40 minutes.
- Next using an immersion blender puree the soup.
- Add the cream and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Season salt and fresh ground pepper.