Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Basil is super flavorful! It is made with roasted garlic, fresh basil and fresh, ripe tomatoes.
I had a ton of fresh tomatoes from my garden this year, so what does one do with all those tomatoes? Make the ultimate comfort food, of course, tomato soup! This homemade tomato soup recipe may take a bit more time to prepare, but it pays off with exceptional taste. The roasted garlic and basil add sensational flavor to this recipe. In addition to enjoying a delicious homemade soup, you will have the comfort of knowing this soup has no additives or preservatives. Wow! an ingredient list you can pronounce! You may want to double the recipe as it tastes even better the next day.
How to make Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes and Roasted Garlic
- Start by roasting the garlic. Watch this video for easy to follow steps for roasting garlic.
- While the garlic is roasting prepare the fresh tomatoes by peeling them. Here is a great video to show you an easy method for peeling fresh tomatoes.
- To put this soup together, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and sauté. Stir in the tomatoes, roasted garlic, chicken broth, and fresh chopped basil. My recipe for Homemade Chicken Stock tastes awesome in this recipe, but store-bought will work as well.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, then using an immersion blender puree the soup.
- Add cream and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
What to serve with creamy homemade tomato soup?
- The ultimate comfort food combination is tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. My Taco Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich would taste fantastic with this tomato soup recipe.
- Butternut Squash Scones are great for dipping.
- Toasted crostinis with parmesan cheese is what I served with tomato soup with roasted garlic and basil when I did these photographs.
I love soup and here are some more great recipes to try.
- Hearty Tortellini Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Mushroom Soup
- Italian Turkey Burger Soup
Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Basil
An aromatic combination of roasted garlic,fresh basil and garden fresh tomatoes for a delicious homemade tomato soup recipe.
- 10-12 fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 bulb garlic roasted
- 6 leaves fresh basil finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper season to taste
- ½ tsp salt season to taste
- Heat oven to 350º F
- Cut the top off garlic bulb. Place cut side up in baking dish, drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Roast for about 30 minutes. (bulb will be very soft when squeezed).
- While garlic is roasting peel the tomatoes. This is an easy method for removing the skin from fresh tomatoes.
- Start a large pot of water boiling. Place tomatoes into the boiling water and boil for 20 seconds. Remove from boiling water and immediately immerse in bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes. When tomato has cooled a bit, make a slice in the top and pull skin away.
- Chop tomatoes into pieces.
- In large pot heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add diced onions and sauté medium heat until golden brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, roasted garlic, broth, and basil.
- Simmer soup for 40 minutes.
- Next using an immersion blender puree the soup.
- Add the cream and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Season salt and fresh ground pepper.
Calories: 198kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 5gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 1603mgPotassium: 1062mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 2820IUVitamin C: 69mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!