These Butternut Squash Scones are crisp on the outside and soft in the center. A great accompaniment for soups and stews.
I made a batch of these Butternut Squash Scones to serve with my Vanilla Butternut Squash Bisque. A terrific lunch combo that is hearty enough for dinner. These scones also taste great with a pat of butter, jelly or cream cheese.
Butternut Squash Scones
These Butternut Squash Scones are crisp on the outside and soft in the center.
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup cold unsalted butter diced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cup butternut squash purée cooked
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, stirring well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, add egg, squash puree, and buttermilk.
- Add squash mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 10 turns. Roll dough to 1-inch thickness.
- Using an approximately 3-inch cutter, cut as many scones as possible.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
For squash purée, cut a squash in half, and remove seeds. Rub with olive oil. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely. Scoop flesh from shell, discarding shell. Purée squash until smooth. Transfer purée to strainer. Set strainer over a bowl, and refrigerate until ready to use. Discard any strained juices.
Calories: 188kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 4gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 289mgPotassium: 187mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1445IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 69mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Be sure to check out my Vanilla Butternut Squash Bisque recipe. It is fantastic with these scones! Also appreciate if you try my recipe to drop back and give it a 5 star rating.