Beautifully decorated Stained Glass Valentine Cookies are a great treat for Valentine’s Day and make a pretty edible gift.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies start with my scrumptious sugar cookie recipe. These cookies cut out beautifully with nice sharp edges. I then decorated them royal icing and an easy to do stained glass look effect. Check out this easy to follow recipe How to make Royal Icing and video on how to make Stained Glass Cookies
These gorgeous cookies make a wonderful edible gift. Package them in a decorative tin or individually in a cellophane bag tied with a pretty ribbon.
This easy to follow video demonstrates how to get the stained glass look effect.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies
Beatiful, tasty stained glass looking cookiesPrint Rate
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 9 minutes
Servings: 2 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 40-50 red hard candies such as lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy- about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs and orange zest.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, blend together until combined.
- Cut dough into 3 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 F.
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer)
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out large hearts, then with smaller heart cookie cutter cut smaller heart inside of large heart
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre of heart with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
Enjoy this other great decorative cookie recipe for Valentine Day Cookies