Beautifully decorated Valentine Cookies that use a stained glass technique for the center. These cookies make a very tasty Valentine’s Day treat.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies start with my scrumptious sugar cookie recipe. This sugar cookie recipe is excellent, as it bakes up cookies with nice sharp edges. The cookies are then decorated with royal icing and technique giving them a stained glass effect. Follow this link for making perfect Royal Icing. and step by step video to create the stained glass look effect.
I love to give these gorgeous cookies out a an edible Valentine’s Day gift. Package them in a decorative tin or individually in a cellophane bag tied with a pretty ribbon.
Some tips to making Stained Glass Valentine’s Day Cookies:
- Make sure butter is soft and eggs at room temperature.
- Don’t over mix the dough or it will result in tougher, drier cookies.
- Be sure to chill dough at least 30 minutes. Longer if it is still soft.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper! This is a must or the candy centre will melt and stick to the pan.
- Don’t over bake or candy centre will burn.
This easy to follow video demonstrates how to get the stained glass look effect.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies
Beatiful, tasty stained glass looking cookiesPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 40-50 red hard candies such as lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy- about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs and orange zest.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, blend together until combined.
- Cut dough into 3 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 F.
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer)
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out large hearts, then with smaller heart cookie cutter cut smaller heart inside of large heart
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre of heart with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 204mg | Potassium: 29mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 374IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg
Enjoy this other great decorative cookie recipe for Valentine Day Cookies