Festive pumpkin spice sugar cookies are a great homemade Halloween treat for spooky trick-or-treater or a Halloween party.
Pumpkin Spice Halloween cookies make perfect cut-out cookies that are easy to decorate with royal icing. The cookies are incredibly flavorful with the addition of pumpkin spice. I package individual cookies in clear gift bags for my special Trick-or-Treaters. Check out easy to follow, step-by-step instructions for Decorating Cookies with Royal.
How to make perfect sugar cookies for cookies cutters.
- Start with room temperature butter, not too soft or your cookies will spread. Test the butter by poking it with your finger. It should make a soft indent without sinking.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy. It will lighten in color from yellow to pale yellow.
- Next add dry ingredients and mix until combined. I like to use a whisk to make sure dry ingredients are well combined before adding to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces, flatten a bit into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- After the dough is chilled, work with one disk at a time and roll dough out on a well-floured surface to ¼ thickness. Dust your cookie cutter with flour to avoid dough sticking to the cookie cutter.
- Transfer cut out cookies to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in oven that has been preheated to 350ºF.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, just until edges start to brown.
- Decorate with royal icing following these easy instructions.
Check out more great home baked Halloween treat recipes.
Pumpkin Spice Halloween Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out. Substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 2 eggs + 1 extra yolk
- 2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together flour, salt and pumpkin spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs. Beat to combine.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, mix until combined.
- Separate dough into 3 equal portions. Flatten into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to chill the dough.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle flour on work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Dust cookie cutter with flour to prevent dough from sticking and cut cookies. Transfer to cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. (edges just starting to brown)
- Cool a bit on the cookie sheets before moving to wire cooling rack.
- Decorate with royal icing that has been tinted with orange food coloring. The black spider web and spider can be made with food writer or royal icing that has been tinted with black food coloring. A store-bought candy spider also works great for a decoration.
Even Yoda likes these cookies! Happy Halloween