Absolutely delicious Pumpkin Pecan Cookies have a soft cake-like texture and scrumptious pumpkin spice flavor! Perfect Fall dessert.
The recipe for these Pumpkin Pecan Cookies was adapted from one of my Mom's old-fashioned recipes for pumpkin cookies. I changed it a bit by adding pecans and using butter instead of margarine. These cookies make the perfect fall dessert that will have your kitchen smelling amazing. You can't beat the comforting smell of fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
When making this recipe I chopped the pecans into quarters and did not add the crumbs. This helps to keep the cookies light and fluffy. I prefer these cookies just plain and simple topped with a half pecan. If you like a bit of frosting on them try my cream cheese frosting recipe , it would be tasty addition.
When making this recipe be sure to use pure canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling. As well, I have found various brands of canned pumpkin can vary quite a bit in water content, so if the pumpkin seems watery be sure to strain excess water out. Another tip is to stir the pecans into the batter by hand to avoid breaking them up.
Pumpkin Pecan Cookies have a light cake-like batter that is quite sticky so I found it easiest to use two teaspoons to place dough on cookie sheet. Be sure to use parchment paper to ensure nice brown bottoms on the cookies.
These cookies will fly off the plate, but if necessary store in airtight container. A great cookie for Holiday Baking that freezes very well.
Pumpkin Pecan Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup pecans
- pecan halves for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Combine together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat until combined.
- Beat in vanilla and pumpkin until combined.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans. I do this by hand to prevent pecans from breaking up too much.
- Drop heaping teaspoon of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. I use two teaspoons to drop dough onto cookie sheet.
- If desired, top with ½ pecan.
- Bake 350º F oven for 11-13 minutes until top of cookies are slightly brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
If you enjoy this recipe please come back, drop me a comment and rate this recipe 5 star. Thank you for your support.