Amazing tasting Candy Cane Sugar Cookies! My all-time favourite sugar cookie recipe is perfect for making decorative cut out cookies.
This recipe for Candy Cane Sugar Cookies uses candy canes that are ground very finely into a sugar consistency. The candy cane sugar replaces some of the sugar usually found in sugar cookie recipes. I used pink colored cherry flavoured candy canes. They add great flavour and give the cookies a beautiful pink colour. Once you try this recipe I’m sure you’ll agree this is the best tasting sugar cookies you’ve ever baked! Decorate with royal icing to create some beautiful edible art. Check out this recipe for Royal Icing for easy step by instructions to decorate cookies with royal icing.
In addition to the amazing flavour, these cookies cut out beautifully with all your favourite Holiday cookie cutters. I love to collect beautiful cookie cutters. Some of my favourites are the copper snowflake ones I have collected over the years. These make perfect gifts or stocking stuffers.
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground candy canes I use pink/red colored cherry flavoured
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- Mix together flour and salt.
- Using food processor grind candy canes to fine sugar consistency.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and candy cane sugar together until fluffy (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat to combine.
- Add flour a bit at a time until all flour is combined.
- Separate into 2 or 3 even pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Flour work surface, then roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Dust cookie cutters with flour before cutting shapes from dough.
- Transfer to cookie sheet and bake 350º for 8-10 minutes (just until edges start to brown)
- Cool completely, then decorate with Royal Icing
Enjoy this another great candy cane flavoured recipe, Candy Cane Fudge