The crust is combination of spaghetti, egg, butter and flavourful gruyere cheese, followed by creamy cottage cheese, then a zesty meat sauce layer, topped with melted mozzarella cheese.
Baked Spaghetti Pie
- 1/2 box spaghetti about 9 oz
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 can (28oz) tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Brown ground beef with onions, garlic and peppers.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, combine well.
- Add sugar, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep heated while you prepare the pasta.
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on box. (Don't overcook)
- Drain and return to pot.
- Mix in butter, eggs and gruyere cheese.
- Grease 10 inch pie plate, put spaghetti mix into pie plate. This is your "crust"
- Spread cottage cheese on top of spaghetti crust.
- Spoon ground beef mixture on top of cottage cheese layer.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then top with mozzarella and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.