The crust is combination of spaghetti, egg, butter and flavourful gruyere cheese, followed by creamy cottage cheese, then a zesty meat sauce layer, topped with melted mozzarella cheese.
Baked Spaghetti Pie
- 1/2 box spaghetti about 9 oz
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 can (28oz) tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
Brown ground beef with onions, garlic and peppers.
Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, combine well.
Add sugar, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
Keep heated while you prepare the pasta.
Cook spaghetti according to directions on box. (Don't overcook)
Drain and return to pot.
Mix in butter, eggs and gruyere cheese.
Grease 10 inch pie plate, put spaghetti mix into pie plate. This is your "crust"
Spread cottage cheese on top of spaghetti crust.
Spoon ground beef mixture on top of cottage cheese layer.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then top with mozzarella and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.