Is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast? My Gramma made the absolute best oatmeal and I have never been able to replicate the flavour of hers. Maybe it was that she slow cooked it over a wood burning stove, or the fact that the cream came fresh from the cream separator. I may never quite get my Gramma's perfect oatmeal but this is pretty close, how to make perfect strawberries and cream oatmeal.
As the oatmeal was cooking we got shooed out to the garden to get fresh raspberries or strawberries, whatever was ripe at the time. My Gramma never thought about organic foods, nutrition values, calorie counts - she just cooked great food.
How to make perfect Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- 2 cups large flaked oatmeal
- 4 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 4-8 tbsp brown sugar
- In large pot bring 4 cups water to boil, add salt.
- Slowly add oatmeal, stirring continually.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, stir in strawberries, cover and leave sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with brown sugar and fresh cream.