Easy to follow instructions for how to make perfect strawberries and cream oatmeal just like my Grandma made!
My Grandma made the best oatmeal ever! I will never be able to replicate the flavor of hers. She slow cooked it over a wood-burning stove and the cream came fresh from the cream separator. While the oatmeal cooked we got shooed out to the garden to pick fresh raspberries or strawberries. My Gramma never thought about organic food, nutrition values, calorie counts, she just cooked great food. I may never quite get the taste of my Gramma's perfect oatmeal but this recipe for strawberries and cream oatmeal is delicious! Another great oatmeal recipe to try is my Eggnog Cranberry Oatmeal.
How to make the perfect oatmeal
- Start with large flake or old fashioned oats, not the instant or quick-cook variety. My favorite is Quaker large flake oats.
- Bring water to a full boil. For creamier oatmeal you can use 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk. Next sprinkle in the salt, then slowly add the oatmeal while continually stirring.
- Reduce to low heat, cover, and let simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in fresh sliced strawberries. Cover and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cream and a sprinkle of sugar.
Ingredients for making homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal
Oatmeal - I use large flake oats. I prefer the texture. Old fashioned oats also work well. Can you use quick cook oats? Yes, but reduce cooking time. Can you use steel cut oats? Yes, but increase cooking time to about 15 minutes.
Berries - I love fresh strawberries. You can also use fresh raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Can you substitute frozen berries? Yes, completely thaw before adding to the oatmeal.
Cream - I use fresh, full fat cream (35 percent fat) for the ultimate creamy oatmeal. If you prefer low-calorie, any type of milk will do. Non-dairy almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk are also great substitutions.
Sugar - Brown sugar tastes so good with the nutty flavor of oatmeal, but granulated sugar or any low-cal sweetener can be used.
This post was originally published on May 23, 2014. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update March 25, 2021.
How to make perfect Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- 2 cups large flaked oatmeal
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 4-8 tablespoons brown sugar
- In large pot bring 4 cups water to a boil, add salt.
- Slowly add oatmeal, stirring continually.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, stir in the strawberries. Cover and leave sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve with brown sugar and fresh cream.
Leave a Reply