My all-time favourite dessert is cheesecake just plain and simple cheesecake! I won't turn down a flavoured, loaded cheesecake, but I love a plain, tall and creamy cheesecake. This recipe for Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake is by far my favourite!
I am celebrating my new and updated blog and the best way to celebrate is with my favourite dessert Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake! After being on blogger since the start of my blogging days I decided to make the bold move over to wordpress. To say this caused me some anxiety is an understatement. I am not the most tech savvy person, something my family tells me all the time. Their only help is to say "just google it". So stick with me through this huge learning curve and many wonky mistakes. Please don't be afraid to drop me a note if things don't quite look right.
This is an incredible cheesecake recipe, tall, creamy and smooth. I made this recipe without a crust, but if you prefer a simple graham crust will work great. I love my cheesecake plain but if you like serve it with berries and whipped cream, caramel or even chocolate sauce. My recipe for 5 Minutes Strawberry Sauce is amazing with Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake! One very important thing when making cheesecake is to have all the ingredients at room temperature or you will have lumps in your cheesecake!! Also be sure to use a 10 inch springform pan. This cake rising quite a bit while baking and will spill over in a small cake pan.
Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake
- 32 ounces cream cheese (4 packages) room temperature
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups sour cream room temperature
- 8 tablespoon butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 vanilla beans can substitute 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Tightly wrap 2 layers of aluminum foil around the outside of a 10 inch springform pan covering bottom and sides.
- Generously coat inside of pan with butter.
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time until blended.
- Add sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Add sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and lemon juice, beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into springform pan and place in a roasting pan large enough to prevent sides from touching.
- Place into oven and carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up sides of springform pan. (be careful not to splash any water onto cake)
- Bake for 2 hours, or until cake is lightly browned on top. My oven is a convection oven, so bake time in regular oven may be longer.
- Remove from water bath (bain-marie), remove foil and cool completely at room temperature before unlatching and removing rim.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (best to leave chill overnight). Cake must be well chilled to set properly.
- Serve plain or with berries and whipped cream or even caramel sauce.
* be sure to use 10 inch springform pan or build up sides of smaller cake pan with parchment paper. Cake will raise while baking and will spill over in smaller cake pan.
Click here for a good video to demonstrate doneness of Cheesecake.
Recipe was adapted from Jim Fobel's Old-Fashioned Baking Book
My recipe for 5 Minute Strawberry Sauce tastes amazing with this cheesecake!
Be sure to follow me and get my latest recipes on Pinterest, Instagram Facebook and Twitter.
Enjoy another tasty cheesecake recipe with a brownie crust Brownie Cheesecake Bites!
This cheese cake is fantastic and so easy to make! I have received many compliments when I make this cheese cake for the family.
Thank you Linda for taking the time to comment and rate my recipe, appreciate it!
Use an oven baking bag, like for turkeys, instead of the tin foil and will not get water in your cheesecake. I use it every time. Good luck!
I love the idea. Do you wrap and close on the top? Some cheese cake are tinned foil while baking - not this one.
How do you wrap the Turkey bag without sealing on the top? Thanks
This is the best cheesecake recipe I’ve ever found. I’ve been making it for years and everyone always loves it. I just made it again but substituted the sugar with zero calorie sweetener. It’s baking and looks great so far. Seriously the best cheesecake hands down.
Thank you Chelsea!
I have commented on this perfectly delicious and heavenly cheesecake. My family always is so excited when I make it. I made it for Easter and I usually like to have it a little brown on the top. This time I baked it for the exact 2 hours and took it out. It was not brown and there was absolutely no sign of a crack! I was so happy about that! I made 3 nests out of chocolate chips and coconut melted together with some pastel Cadbury eggs in them. I have made this pretty many times but following your techie to the tee this time lead to a no crack beauty! I can’t thank you enough for this fabulous recipe! Hope you had a blessed Easter!
I have made many cheesecakes in the past as I used to bake for a caffe. This was the absolute best! Great taste, light, smooth, and not too sweet! NO CRACKS! The best! I will make it again!
Thanks so much Gerry, glad you enjoyed the recipe!
I’ve been making this cheese cake since the 70’s and making the strawberry glaze for the topping. I found my recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It’s the best cheesecake ever. Make sure ingredients are room temperature. Also my advice is to make this the day before. It has a chance to settle and it’s delicious.
TRACY A TOTTY
This is just like a recipe I used to have but lost!! I'm so excited to find this one. Only recipe I have seen that uses lemon juice and cornstarch. It looks just like the one I used to make using a recipe just like this one and it is the best and only one I ever used. I just made one with another recipe but it's flat and just so so. I will be making one with your recipe next time! Thanks so much for posting this
Best cheesecake recipe ever. I freeze this to take with me when we go visit someone in another state. This is going with me to Florida (from Kentucky) for someone’s birthday.
Very delicious! I always have the worst luck with cheesecake, but this turned out great! I'm thankful for the tip about having tall sides on the pan, because otherwise I would have had a mess in my oven. It did take about 3 hours for mine to look properly set, with jiggle only in the center.
Wonderful Rosie, so happy you enjoyed the recipe!
Best ever cheesecake. I thought it was easy to put together also. I am going to try and add some white chocolate and raspberries next. Big thank you for sharing!!!