Butterscotch Rice Krispie Squares combine two of my favourite childhood treats into one delicious square. A butterscotch and peanut butter layer sandwiched between marshmallow Rice Krispie layers.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats start with a classic Rice Krispie recipe layer, topped with a creamy smooth, peanut butter and butterscotch center, then covered with another Rice Krispie layer. The butterscotch center is similar to my popular recipe for Confetti Squares.
Ingredients for making this recipe.
Peanut butter - use regular smooth peanut butter. Natural or organic peanut butter does not work well in most no-bake recipes.
Butter- I use salted butter, but if you use unsalted butter, just add a pinch of salt.
Butterscotch chips - buy good quality chips. My preferred brand is Hershey butterscotch chips. A 270-gram bag equals about 1 ¾ cups.
Marshmallows - use mini marshmallows (250 gram bag), or 40 large marshmallows.
Rice Krispie cereal - this brand or any brand of crisp rice cereal.
Vanilla - pure vanilla extract.
How to make butterscotch Rice Krispies treats recipe:
Grease with butter a 9 x 9 baking pan or line with parchment paper.
Have all the ingredients measured out so you can work quickly to put this recipe together.
Start by preparing the marshmallow Rice Krispies. I use a microwave to melt the butter and marshmallows together. This takes about 1-2 minutes, stirring the mixture every 30 seconds and only until melted and smooth.
Spread half of the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared baking pan. Gently press down, but do not pack or this layer will become hard.
In a small saucepan melt the butter and peanut butter together over low heat. Stir in the butterscotch chips and stir continuously until melted and smooth.
TIP: Make sure the butter-peanut butter mix is not too hot before adding in the butterscotch chips or the mixture will seize and become grainy because the sugars crystallize.
Spread the butterscotch mixture evenly over the Rice Krispie layer.
Top with remaining Rice Krispie mix. I find it easiest to spoon dollops and then spread out pressing into placing with well buttered hands.
For a different flavor substitute chocolate chips for the butterscotch chips. White chocolate chips would also make a tasty substitution.
Store Butterscotch Rice Krispie Squares in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before cutting into squares and serving.
This post was originally published April 4, 2016. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update December 19, 2022.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Squares
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 bag mini marshmallows 250gram bag or 40 large marshmallows
- ½ cup butter divided into ¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 package butterscotch chips 1 ¾ cups
- Grease with butter a 9 x 9 baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Have all the ingredients measured out so you can put this recipe together quickly.
- Place ¼ cup of butter in a large microwavable bowl and heat just until melted.
- Stir in the marshmallows and heat until the marshmallows have melted. (1-2 minutes). Stir about every 30 seconds.
- Stir in vanilla, then add rice krispies. Combine well.
- Spread half of the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared baking pan. Gently press down, but do not pack or this layer will become hard.
- In a small saucepan using medium heat, melt together ¼ cup of butter and the peanut butter. Do not let boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the butterscotch chips, stir continuously until the chips have melted.
- Spread the butterscotch mixture evenly over the rice krispie layer.
- Top with the remaining half of the cereal mixture. I do this by spooning dollops over the butterscotch layer and then gently spreading with well-buttered hands.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
- Allow to come to room temperature before cutting and serving.