Homemade Puffed Wheat Squares are one of those treats that are so quick and easy to make. Do remember having Puffed Wheat Squares as a kid?
When I was a child my Mom made Puffed Wheat Squares often for our family. They were quick and easy to make and didn’t cost a lot. Puffed wheat was the only store bought cereal we ever got as kids. Five kids could eat a lot of cereal and puffed wheat came in these enormous bags at most economical price for a large family. School will soon be out for the summer and this is one recipe you’ll want to keep on hand!
Puffed Wheat Squares
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 8 cups puffed wheat
- Lightly grease 9x13 cake pan.
- Place puffed wheat into large bowl.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in corn syrup, vanilla, brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- Bring to a slow boil and cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour syrup mixture over puffed wheat and combine well.
- Transfer to cake pan, spread evenly and press down.
- Let cool to set before cutting into squares.
You may also like this recipe made with rice krispies, Butterscotch Rice Krispie Squares.