This recipe is usually called beer can chicken, but if you are from Saskatchewan you would refer to it as Beer Butt Chicken, and to pay homage to my hometown of Humboldt, Saskatchewan I have made this recipe with Pilsner beer. Don’t have beer, no worries, use any kind of soda, root beer tastes great, but any kind of soda will work.
Beer Can Chicken
- 3-4 lb chicken whole
- 1 can favourite beer
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat barbeque.
- Coat chicken with olive oil.
- Mix together all the spices
- Rub 1/2 of spice mixture all over chicken, inside as well.
- Drink about 1/2 of the can of beer, then put other 1/2 of spice mix into beer can.
- Put chopped onion into beer can.
- Put beer into chicken rack then push chicken butt 1/2 way down beer can. (see pic below)
- Place chicken rack on old cookie sheet covered with foil.
- Roast on barbeque, medium heat, until chicken reaches internal temperature of 185 degrees; about 1 hour depending on the size of chicken.
Rub olive oil over chicken then cover with spice mix
Very important step: drink 1/2 of the beer, put any remaining spices into beer can.
Place 1/2 full beer can into holder, then push chicken down on top, roast until chicken reaches 185 degrees.
Enjoy some more great chicken recipes like this one from Healthy Kitchen 101 Oven Baked Chicken Breasts