Avocado Citrus Salad is a light, refreshing salad with creamy avocado, tangy grapefruit and oranges tossed in a homemade poppyseed dressing.
Avocado Citrus Salad is a recipe I make countless times throughout the summer. Delightfully refreshing this salad combines fresh garden greens with tangy orange and grapefruit sections. The salad is topped with creamy avocado and toasted almonds, all tossed together in a homemade poppyseed dressing. What to serve with this amazing salad? Grilled steak, pork chops, or my recipes for Beer Can Chicken, or Greek Ribs. I also enjoy it as a main course topped with shrimp.
Ingredients you'll need to make this all-time favorite salad.
- Fresh Greens like my favorite, a leafy spring mix. All kinds of green work, even spinach.
- Oranges and grapefruit- these two citrus fruits add a great tangy flavor to every bite. I usually use pink grapefruit and navel oranges. A great substitution if you prefer a milder taste is papaya or mango.
- Avocado adds great creaminess. Toss into the salad right before serving so it doesn't become brown and mushy.
- Red onion, what salad doesn't taste better with a bit of red onion!
- Nuts like slivered almonds or pecans that have been freshly toasted.
How to make Citrus Avocado Salad
- Start by toasting the almonds. I buy raw slivered almonds and toast them in the oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep a close eye on them, as you don't want to burn them. Nuts can burn easily and then taste bitter and are unusable.
- Next mix up your dressing. Be sure to check the expiry date on the poppy seeds. Poppy seeds that aren't fresh have a terrible, rank taste to them and will ruin your salad.
- Section the grapefruit and oranges. I like to do this ahead of time and store in a container until I'm ready to toss the salad together.
- Wash greens and remove water using a salad spinner. Salad spinners work great to make sure all the water is off the greens. If your greens are watery the dressing won't stick well.
- Chop the avocado into chunks and toss into the salad right before serving. Use ripe (but not over-ripe) avocado. How do you tell if an avocado is ripe? Ripe avocados usually have a darker color, but this can vary, so the best way to tell is if it is firm, but will yield to gentle pressure.
- Toss all ingredients together just before serving.
Avocado Citrus Salad
This recipe for Avocado Citrus Salad is so light and refreshing with avocado, grapefruit, oranges tossed in a homemade poppyseed dressing.
- 6 cups salad greens
- 2 medium grapefruit sectioned
- 3 navel oranges sectioned
- 1 ripe avocado chopped
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- ½ teaspoon ground dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon koscher salt
- Start by toasting the almonds. I buy raw slivered almonds. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place almonds in a single layer and toast in 350ºF oven for 3-4 minutes. Keep a close eye on them, as you don't want them to burn! Nuts can burn easily and then they taste bitter and are unusable.
- Next mix up your dressing. In a small jar add olive oil, sugar, vinegar, red onion, poppy seed, dry mustard, and salt. Seal with lid and shake until well combined.
- Section the grapefruit and oranges.
- Wash greens and remove water using a salad spinner. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop the avocado into chunks and toss into the salad right before serving.
- Toss all the ingredients together with poppy seed dressing. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Calories: 327kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 4gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 208mgPotassium: 502mgFiber: 6gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 1658IUVitamin C: 81mgCalcium: 84mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!