Best Ever Green Bean Casserole is an exceptional recipe for a classic Holiday side dish. You may even get the kids to eat green beans with this recipe! Make ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to cook!
I made this green bean casserole recipe with a homemade sauce, unlike the more common version that uses cream of mushroom soup.
Can you make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes! Prepare, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Add an additional 10-15 minutes bake time.
- Green Beans - I use fresh green beans, but you can also us frozen green beans. I find canned green beans don't work well in this recipe as they get too soft.
- Mushrooms - White or brown button mushrooms work well, but any of your favorite fresh mushrooms will taste great.
- Red Bell Pepper - the sweet taste of red peppers compliments the flavor of the green beans.
- Parmesan Cheese - fresh grated Parmesan! Cheddar cheese is also an option.
- Cayenne Pepper - adds just a tad of heat. You can also used red pepper flakes.
- Nutmeg - just a pinch to add a great depth of flavor.
- Shallots - crispy shallots top the casserole. They have a more mild, sweeter flavor than onions.
Can you substitute the shallots with store-bought French-fried onions? Although I prefer the home-made crispy shallots, they packaged fried-onions will work to simplify the recipe.
This post was originally published on July 11, 2013. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update November 15, 2022.
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for deep frying shallots
- 4-6 shallots sliced thin
- Prepare the green beans. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook just until tender. (3-4 minutes)
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. Remove green beans from the cooking pot and immediately plunge into ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain, set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, add onion and sauté until softened. (about 5 minutes)
- Add red bell pepper and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened and liquid has evaporated.
- Stir the red peppers and mushrooms into the green beans. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in 4 tablespoons of flour. Whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk while continually whisking. Cook medium heat until mixture has thickened. Constantly whisking.
- Stir in cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, stir occasionally.
- Pour sauce over the green bean- mushroom mixture. Toss to combine.
- Grease a 2 litre casserole dish with butter. Spread half of the green bean mixture in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle ½ cup grated parmesan on top. Top with the remaining green bean mixture.
- Combine together ½ cup parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil. Bake in oven at 350º Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and heated through.
- Uncover casserole and bake under broiler until top is golden brown.
- Prepare the crispy shallots. Heat vegetable oil in medium skillet, toss the shallots with 2 tablespoons of flour. Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the casserole with crispy shallots and serve.