Best Ever Green Bean Casserole is an exceptional recipe for fresh green beans, great to bring to any potluck dinner. You may even get the kids to eat green beans with this recipe! Make ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to cook!
This Green Bean Casserole is one of those homestyle recipes that are always a part of those festive dinners such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Serve with Roast Turkey or Slow Cooker Maple and Beer Braised Ham.
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole is an exceptional recipe for fresh green beans, great to bring to any potluck dinner.
- 1 ½ lbs fresh green beans trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 tbsp butter plus more for dish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4-6 shallots sliced thin
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in large skillet, add onion and saute until softened, (about 5 mins).
- Add bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook until softened and most of liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Fill large bowl with ice water.
- Bring saucepan of water to boil, add beans and cook until just tender (4-5 mins)
- Drain and plunge into ice bath to stop cooking.
- When cooled, add drained beans to mushroom mixture.
- Melt remaining 4 tbsp. butter in medium saucepan, medium heat.
- Add 4 tbsp flour, whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn golden. (2 mins)
- Pour in milk continually whisking until mixture has thickened (3 mins)
- Stir in cayenne, nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, stir occasionally.
- Pour over beans and toss to combine.
- Butter 2L casserole dish. Spread half of the green bean mixture over bottom.
- Sprinkle half the grated parmesan, then spread with remaining green beans.
- Combine remaining parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Cover with foil, bake 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and heated through.
- Then, uncover casserole and bake under broiler until top is golden brown.
- For shallots, heat canola oil in medium skillet, toss shallots with remaining 2 tbsp. of flour. Fry until golden brown.
- Sprinkle casserole with fried shallots, serve immediately.
this recipe can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to cook.
Calories: 321kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 12gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 620mgPotassium: 562mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1526IUVitamin C: 33mgCalcium: 257mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
More great Holiday side dishes Best Ever Brussels Sprouts and Perfect Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes