Best Ever Green Bean Casserole is one of those homestyle recipes that are always a part of those festive dinners such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Serve with Roast Turkey or Slow Cooker Maple and Beer Braised Ham.
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 tbsp butter plus more for dish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4-6 shallots sliced thin
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in large skillet, add onion and saute until softened, (about 5 mins).
- Add bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook until softened and most of liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Fill large bowl with ice water.
- Bring saucepan of water to boil, add beans and cook until just tender (4-5 mins)
- Drain and plunge into ice bath to stop cooking.
- When cooled, add drained beans to mushroom mixture.
- Melt remaining 4 tbsp. butter in medium saucepan, medium heat.
- Add 4 tbsp flour, whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn golden. (2 mins)
- Pour in milk continually whisking until mixture has thickened (3 mins)
- Stir in cayenne, nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, stir occasionally.
- Pour over beans and toss to combine.
- Butter 2L casserole dish. Spread half of the green bean mixture over bottom.
- Sprinkle half the grated parmesan, then spread with remaining green beans.
- Combine remaining parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Cover with foil, bake 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and heated through.
- Then, uncover casserole and bake under broiler until top is golden brown.
- For shallots, heat canola oil in medium skillet, toss shallots with remaining 2 tbsp. of flour. Fry until golden brown.
- Sprinkle casserole with fried shallots, serve immediately.