Bacon Shallot Peas are the perfect veggie side dish to add to chicken dinners. Try my Gramma’s homestyle chicken recipe Sunday Dinner Chicken.
I love fresh picked garden peas with this recipe, but frozen peas work just fine. The hint of lemon combined with creamy butter blend nicely with the bacon and shallots. If you prefer a bit more zip add a bit more lemon. One important tip about cooking peas is DON’T over cook them or they become hard and very bland tasting.
Bacon Shallot Peas
- 2 cups fresh or frozen summer peas
- 1/2 cup bacon diced I use the meaty sections with less fat
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook bacon in skillet until slightly crispy.
- Add finely sliced shallot, cook until browned.
- Drain excess grease, add lemon zest, set aside while you cook the peas.
- Fill medium saucepan with water, bring to a boil.
- Add peas and cook peas 3-5 minutes.
- Drain peas add to bacon, shallots and lemon zest.
- Toss with butter and season with salt.