Super Shepherd’s Pie is one of my family’s most requested recipes. This ultimate comfort food recipe has a rich tasty gravy, ground beef, veggies topped with fluffy mashed potatoes.
Super Shepherd’s Pie is one of those easy to prepare comfort foods. It is a simple dish with ingredients you usually have on hand. You can also make it ahead of time, then refrigerate until ready to bake. This dish also freezes very well. My secret to making a Shepherd’s Pie that is moist and delicious is to add prepared gravy to the mixture. Adding my favourite packaged beef gravy mix adds a terrific boost of flavour and extra sauciness to the filling.
I you like top with some grated cheese for an extra savoury flavour.
Super Shepherd's Pie
This ultimate comfort food recipe has a rich tasty gravy, ground beef, veggies topped with fluffy mashed potatoes.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 6-7 medium potatoes about 6-7 cups raw, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped about 2 1/2 cups raw, chopped
- 1 onion chopped about 1 cup
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans optional
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 6 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package beef gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded optional
- Peel and cut potatoes; cook in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes, drain.
- Add butter, milk and mash; set aside.
- In large sauté pan add ground beef, salt, pepper and cook until browned. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Drain off all but about 1 tbsp. fat from sauté pan, add onions, carrots and garlic and cook until tender.
- Stir in beans, corn and peas. Cook for about 4-5 minutes (I usually add the beans and cook for a few minutes before adding peas and corn as they take a bit longer to cook.
- In the meantime prepare gravy mix as per package instructions.
- When gravy has thickened, stir in tomato paste and thyme.
- Add gravy mix into vegetable mix, then stir in ground beef and pour into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potato mix, cover and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- (optional) Add shredded cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 568mg | Potassium: 1235mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 90.4% | Vitamin C: 38.4% | Calcium: 19.8% | Iron: 44.6%