Rich and meaty Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meat Sauce is so full of flavour! A homemade meat sauce recipe that I been making for over 20 years.
I have been making this recipe for Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meat Sauce for years. It is a favourite amongst my son’s track and field team. A great dish for those busy days. Make in the morning and let it simmer all day in the slow cooker. You can also cook it one the stovetop for a quicker version. Be sure to double the recipe as it makes great leftovers and freezes very well. This meat sauce is great to use in my Baked Spaghetti Pie recipe.
Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
My favourite meat sauce recipe. Thick, hearty and so delicious!Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tsp salt I usually use Kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cans tomato paste 5.5 oz size
- 2 cans tomato sauce 8 oz size
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/2 - 1 cup water add water until sauce is consistency you like
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 small bay leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Brown ground beef and transfer to a heated crockpot.
- Using the same pan sauté onions and garlic. I sauté onions until translucent, add minced garlic for about the last 2 minutes. Don't burn the garlic or it will be bitter.
- Add the tomato sauce to deglaze the pan and scrap up the good browned bits.
- Add all remaining ingredients except parmesan and butter.
- Once heated add to ground beef in the crockpot stir well.
- Cook on low setting for at least 2 hours. I usually let sauce cook all afternoon until ready to serve.
- Add parmesan cheese and butter about the last hour of cooking.
- Serve with spaghetti.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 1857mg | Potassium: 1624mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1665IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 6.1mg
Step by Step Instructions and Tips for making fantastic Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
Simple ingredients that are great to stock in your pantry.
Can you substitute ground turkey for ground beef? Absolutely, it tastes great.
Brown ground beef and transfer to a heated crockpot. Using the same pan sauté onions and garlic. I sauté onions until translucent, add minced garlic for about the last 2 minutes. Don’t burn the garlic or it will be bitter.
Add tomato sauce to deglaze the pan and scrap up the good browned bits. These browned bits give great, extra flavour to the sauce. Next, add all remaining ingredients except parmesan and butter.
Heat the sauce, then stir into the ground beef. Cook on low setting for at least 2 hours. I usually let sauce cook all afternoon until ready to serve. Add parmesan cheese and butter about the last hour of cooking.
Can you cook this spaghetti sauce on the stove top? Yes this recipe works well on the stove top as well. I cook the sauce on low heat for about 2 hours. Be sure it only slow simmers and does not boil.
Cook up some spaghetti and serve with a fresh salad like my Avocado Citrus Salad and garlic bread.
Another great spaghetti recipe to try is my Baked Spaghetti Pie