This recipe for Pork Roast with Mushroom Tomato Gravy is from a cookbook I was asked to review, The 163 best Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes. This book by Judith Finlayson is published by Robert Rose Inc. I am probably like most of the people that visit my blog – a collector of cookbooks! So you can just imagine how delighted I was to receive a free one! All opinions expressed are my own.
This recipe for Pork Roast with Mushroom Tomato Gravy is so tasty and you can’t beat the convenience of using a slow cooker. A little work earlier in the day for the huge pay off by not rushing to prepare dinner. The pork roast is fork tender and medley of vegetables makes a very flavourful sauce. I can hardly wait to try some more slow cooker recipes from this book. This one was delicious.
Pork Roast with Mushroom Tomato Gravy
- 1 package dried porcini mushrooms 1/2 oz / 14g, rehydrated and chopped
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 4 oz chunk pancetta diced
- 3 lb trimmed pork shoulder or butt roast
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28oz) tomatoes with juice coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring until browned, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Add pork roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes, transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and carrots and cook until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine, bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and return to boil, breaking up tomatoes.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, HIGH for 3 to 4 hours until pork is tender.
Check out this other great recipe for roast pork Herb Crusted Pork Rib Roast
*I received a complementary copy of this cookbook in exchange for an open and honest review.