Chia Hemp Seed Oatmeal Cookies have a healthy twist with the addition of chia, hemp seed, and multigrain flour.
The combination of chia and hemp seeds with multigrain flour add a nice crunch to these oatmeal cookies. These cookies have a great crunch to them, but yet, they are still soft and chewy. I have also made a gluten-free version of these cookies. These cookies were a big hit with my son's University Track and Field team. They loved them as an after competition treat.
Tips for Perfect Chia Hemp Seed Oatmeal Cookies
- If you can't find multigrain flour, whole grain, whole wheat or even all-purpose flour will work. The cookies just won't have as much crunch to them.
- Some great additions to these cookies are dried cranberries, raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, cinnamon chips or any kind of dried fruit.
- Make sure butter is at room temperature.
- Used old fashioned oatmeal or large flake oatmeal, not the quick cook oats.
- A whisk works great to make sure all the dry ingredients are well combined.
- When combining dry ingredients to wet ingredients don't over mix, mix only until just combined.
- A cookie scoop works great to make evenly sized cookies.
- These cookies freeze great in an air-tight container for up to 2 months.
- If you don't want cookies to spread as much, chill the sheet of prepared cookie dough for 15-30 minutes before baking.
Chia Seeds are known as a superfood and are one of nature's most perfect foods. Chia seeds contain highly concentrated amounts of essential fatty acids, omega-3, and omega-6, a vegetarian source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Hemp Seeds have an ideal balance of omega-3 and omega-6, a complete source of protein, fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Truly one of nature's superfoods.
Chia Hemp Seed Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 ⅓ cup multigrain flour
- 1 ½ cup oatmeal
- ¾ cup coconut
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or raisins, dried cranberries
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, oatmeal, coconut, chia and hemp seed, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate chips and salt in bowl.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter and until smooth.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla, beat on medium-high speed until creamy.
- Add egg and combine well.
- Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture on low speed. Batter will be thick, I usually finish off by hand mixing to ensure ingredients are well combined. Don't over mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to get cookies same size, placing dough about 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly with fork.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on edges.
If you love cookies be sure to check out more delicious cookies recipes like my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.