Everyone needs a great chocolate chip cookie recipe and this recipe for Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies is by far my favourite!
This recipe for Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies makes a cookie that is crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Adding oatmeal and a high proportion of brown sugar give these cookies that perfect chewy texture.
Nothing beats a great homemade cookie fresh out of the oven! Do you have special memories from your childhood watching through the oven window eagerly anticipating that first bite of a cookie your Mom or Grandma just baked? This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies so if your family doesn’t gobble them up instantly, pack some in an airtight container and freeze them!
Some tips to making the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Make sure your butter is soft (room temperature) not melted. If your butter is too soft cookies will be oily.
- Eggs should also be a room temperature.
- Cream butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes until its fluffy before adding eggs.
- I like using a spring-loaded scoop to make cookies that are uniformly sized.
- Use parchment paper lined cookie sheets. It helps cookies from getting too browned on the bottom.
- Do not over bake, cookies will continue to bake a bit after they are taken out of the oven.
- Leave cookies to cool on cookie sheet slightly before transferring to avoid them breaking apart.
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups large flake oatmeal not instant cook type
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl mix together flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using standing mixer or electric mixer on medium speed cream butter until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Add sugars and beat until combined, about another 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Turn mixer to low speed then gradually add flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using ice-cream scoop place cookie dough on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes until cookies are lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.