As a kid I have many fond memories of my Mom doing a ton of Christmas baking for our large family. She would bake all kinds of goodies, putting them in the freezer to keep until Christmas celebrations began. Like many, I am sure, discovered at a very young age that frozen baked stuff tasted awesome. How many of you, even today, take one little bite of your baking out of the freezer to nibble on! I love all kinds of shortbread, but my favorite is the kind that melt in your mouth like this traditional recipe for Mom’s Whipped Shortbread Cookies.
Mom's Whipped Shortbread
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 24 maraschino cherries pat dry
- Whip butter and sugar together with electric mixer until creamy.
- On low gradually add flour. When all flour is added, turn speed to high and whip for 8 minutes.
- Fill piping bag with batter, use extra large star or circle tip.
- Pipe dollop of batter on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Top each cookie with maraschino cherry.
- Bake 325 for 15- 17 minutes. Cool completely.
- Store in refrigerator ( this will also firm cookies if you find they are too crumbly)