The filling for this Mexican inspired casserole can be spiced up to suit your taste buds. Some tasty options are to try using a hotter taco seasoning mix, adding some dried chili pepper flakes, green sauce, verde or canned green chili peppers to the recipe. This recipe gets rave reviews whenever I make it, so I always buy a bigger turkey just to have leftovers. Turkey Enchilada Casserole freezes well, so make two!
Ingredients you will need to make this casserole:
- Leftover roasted turkey meat. No leftover turkey – no problem you can use ground turkey in this turkey enchilada casserole recipe. It doesn’t give the same flavor as leftover turkey, but still tastes great. Leftover chicken can also be a good substitution.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Shredded combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Red onion
- Red peppers, I also like to use yellow and orange peppers.
- Can of diced tomatoes (28oz size)
- Taco seasoning
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Flour or corn tortillas, what ever is your preference. I use flour tortillas.
Steps for making this making this casserole:
Ingredients required for this amazing tasting enchilada casserole.
Combine all ingredients together except the tortillas, chips and one half of the cheese.
Grease a baking dish. Place a layer of tortilla followed by half of the turkey mixture.
Top with broken up tortilla chips and repeat another layer.
Top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 10 minutes.
Turkey Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups roasted turkey meat
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup red peppers I also used orange and yellow
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained 28 oz size
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups tortilla chips broken in pieces
- 2 large flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Mix together all the ingredients except for 1 cup of cheese, tortilla chips and tortillas.
- Grease bottom of 9 x9 baking dish and place 1 large tortilla on bottom.
- Layer with half of turkey mixture.
- Next, sprinkle half of tortilla chip on top of the turkey mixture.
- Repeat with another layer.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for additional 10 minutes.
Here are some more great recipes that use leftover turkey.
Chicken Macaroni Casserole ( I substitute leftover turkey for the chicken)