Cardamom and orange zest make this Cardamom Spice Sugar Cookie one of the best tasting sugar cookies ever!
I love decorating sugar cookies, but always found I didn't like the taste of them, so after many batches of cookie experiments I've come up with a Cardamom Spice Sugar Cookie that tastes awesome. I decorated my cookies with Royal Icing and used a Brush Embroidery technique to make the pretty flowers. The best way to learn this cookie decorating technique is to watch a video. I have not ventured into the world of videos so here's the link to a cookie decorating master, Amber Spiegel of SweetAmbs
Cardamom Spice Sugar Cookie
The subtle hint of Cardamom and orange zest makes this Cardamom Spice Sugar Cookie the best tasting sugar cookie you'll ever bake.
- 1 ½ cups softened butter (not melted, just room temp)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + extra yolk
- 1 ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 mins.
- Add vanilla bean and orange zest mix well.
- Add eggs and combine well.
- Slowly add the flour mix a bit at a time.
- Separate dough into 2 separate pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On floured work surface roll disk out to ⅛ to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out with cookie cutter shape of your choice and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake 6-9 minutes (just until edges start to brown).
- Cool completely and decorate with Royal Icing.
Click here: How to make Royal Icing
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Your support of my blog is greatly appreciated!