These Honey Baked Crispy Phyllo Squares are flavoured with a touch of cinnamon, cardamom, orange zest and honey.
Honey Baked Crispy Phyllo Squares are deliciously flavoured, light and flaky. I love them as a sweet treat with with a cup of tea, but they are also great as a base for dessert. You may enjoy them topped with apple pie filling and a dollop of whipped cream.
This recipe for Sour Cherry Sauce would also taste great with these crisp cookies.
Honey Baked Crispy Phyllo Squares
Simple Honey Baked Phyllo Squares are sprinkled with a touch of cinnamon and honey. They make a wonderful crispy cookie or base for a tasty fruit dessert.
- Grated zest of ½ orange
- ½ cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and cover a cutting board with parchment paper.
- In small bowl combine orange zest with ½ cup sugar. Using a folk press the orange zest into the sugar.
- Stir in cinnamon and cardamom.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo dough onto cutting board lined with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry brush apply a thin layer of the melted butter, then sprinkle liberally with a layer of the sugar mix.
- Place another 2 sheets of phyllo dough on top of the first layer and press lightly.
- Add more melted butter and then sugar mix.
- Add final 2 sheets of phyllo and a final layer of butter and sugar.
- Cover completely with DAMP paper towels to prevent phyllo dough from drying out, place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or until butter returns to a solid state.
- Remove paper towels, and use a pizza cutter to cut into squares.
- Place squares onto prepared baking sheet, cover the phyllo squares with another sheet of parchment paper. Weigh the top down with another baking sheet. This will ensure that the phyllo squares will puff just enough to be flaky and crispy.
- Bake for 10 minutes, squares should be lightly browned.
- Remove top baking sheet, rotate, and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, until squares are caramelized and golden.
- Heat honey in microwave for 20 seconds or until liquid, brush freshly baked phyllo squares with honey, then sprinkle with granulated sugar.
recipe courtesy Yigit Pura's book Sweet Alchemy Dessert Magic
Calories: 208kcalCarbohydrates: 23gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 57mgPotassium: 16mgSugar: 16gVitamin A: 380IUCalcium: 11mgIron: 0.5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
For another cookie recipe with zesty flavour try my Ginger Cookies