This Potato and Ham Ragu works great as a main dish serve with some garlic bread, but also makes a terrific side dish.
Ham and a rich creamy sauce that is flavoured with brandy, oregano, garlic and leeks turn potatoes into a gourmet dish. I used fresh baby potatoes in my recipe, you can’t beat that fresh from the garden taste, but if those aren’t available any type of potatoes will work cut into bite size pieces.
Here are some step by step photos to help prepare this recipe.
Heat butter and oil in large skillet. Cook ham, garlic and leeks.
Cut potatoes into chunks and add to pan.
Stir in brandy, chicken stock and oregano. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add cream and fresh parsley, season with salt and pepper. Serve as a main course with some fresh bread or as a side dish.
Potato and Ham Ragu
Ham and a rich creamy sauce that is flavoured with brandy, oregano, garlic and leeks turn potatoes into a gourmet dish.Print Rate
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz ham cut into small cubes
- 1 cup leeks sliced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet. Cook ham, garlic and leeks over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine stock, brandy and oregano together, then slowly stir into the potatoes.
- Cover and cook low heat for another 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add parsley and cream, season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for additional 5 minutes.
*The Little Potato Company supplied me with the potatoes for this post.