This homemade Tomato Mascarpone Soup is creamy, rich in flavour and so easy to make!
I love being part of Tre Stelle® Taste Team and using their award-winning cheeses in many of my recipes. I recently contributed an article for Winter Comfort Foods which featured my Tomato Mascarpone Soup. Check out the full article here. One of my favourite foods to have for lunch is a grilled cheese sandwich with homemade tomato soup! Now that’s pure comfort food; dunking a perfectly melted grilled cheese into a hot bowl of tomato soup.
Tomato Mascarpone Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced 2 tsp.
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- 1 can whole tomatoes 28 oz size
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth vegetable broth can also be used
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup Tre Stelle Mascarpone cheese
- In large skillet melt butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until onions are golden brown (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, thyme and basil, cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices, sugar, pepper, chicken broth and pepper.
- Season with salt as needed. Saltiness of broth and tomatoes vary, so salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Using an immersion blender puree soup. (any blender will work). If you like a really smooth soup, strain through a sieve.
- Stir in mascarpone cheese. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Serve warm with a Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich using top quality Tre Stelle mozzarella cheese.
Making soup is one of my favourite things to cook up in the kitchen. My love of making soup came from my Grandma who made the most incredible soup with whatever she had on hand. It is one of the hardest things to blog about because I don’t typically measure anything. So have some fun with the basics in this recipe and add your own flare to it!
For more great recipes like this, visit Trestle.ca